Bondo in FW?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Bondo is a workable resin-based plastic. When dry it should not leach if properly cured. It is water proof. Make sure you use a primer on it before the seal coat goes on.

boostnbuds

boostnbuds
Sep 21, 2007
Rhode Island
I'd say you have gotten perfectly sound advice so far. Your first post indicated that you intended to paint and seal the deco. Our advice was to do just that, and do it well, and there should be no problems. If you seal it carefully with many thin coats it should be basically impossible to "miss a spot".

Is bondo toxic? The MSDS contains toxicity information on the raw paste, fumes and on the dust created by sanding, but to ask what happens after it cures and is placed into potable water might be beyond the scope of this forum. The proprietary resin it's made out of is probably polyester, but the bulk is talc and metal powders. Since it is porous, I would expect it to slowly dissolve in the weak acid bath of a fish tank, and you might then get a toxic effect... does that make it toxic?

Just seal it. If it sinks, it'll work.
Thanx for the slightly educated guess as to bondos toxicity in aquaria. Maybe my question IS beyond the scope of this forum. Obviously if it is sealed properly and never contacts the water, there is no risk of toxicity. My question was....if it were chipped or broken or anything, would this have a harmful effect on my tank. There is a good chance that it would dissolve over time, and possibly have negative effects on my tank, again fairly obvious....What effects, if any will there be? If your going to answer my question answer it. Dont end with a question restating the original question. Thanks

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
This question may not be answered by ANY forum.
People here are giving you some helpful advice should you decide to go ahead and use Bondo anyway. If it's not the advice you are looking for then ignore it and move on.

My advice to you would be to use epoxy resin. It's proven non toxic in fish tanks and has been used by many. I would avoid Bondo simply because no one seems to know if it's a hazard.

Q

SMinNC

What you give
Feb 23, 2009
NC
If I were to make my own background or rocks etc, could I use a stainless steel mesh for shaping and cover it in bondo to smooth? Then paint and seal it?
Now why does I has the wood chuck song goin' in ma head?

"How much wood could a wood chuck, chuck. If a wood chuck could chuck wood?"

Maybe my question IS beyond the scope of this forum.
Naa, not really...

Sure ya could!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store