Bosemani Rainbow

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
That's stunning pic! I wonder what lighting is on the tank, that can make a huge difference. There's lfs that uses different lights than I do & their fish look great! They don't grow much if any plants with them but that's important to me.

I would also guess the male in the pic is in top breeding form & a younger but fully adult fish with an excellent breeding line & excellent foods. With rainbows there are often different locations that the fish are collected in the wild, different rivers can have at least slightly different coloring. I don't know that is true with Bosemanii but it is with some 'bows.

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
Been browsing YouTube. Gary Lange has a strand he's been raising and Seagrest supposedly has those lines now. Definitely more colorful. Perhaps they could turn out something like this. Not sure. Lake Aytinjo I think?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You already know more about them than I do, lol. I've heard of Gary Lange & his high quality 'bows but I don't recall what species or strains were mentioned.

Good luck & I hope you have deep pockets for both the fish & shipping ;), it can be very expensive to get your heart set on a very specific kind of fish. But if you do, go for them! You're not a newbie, you should know the basics & lots more :D

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
I have a tendency to nerd out on this stuff when something catches my interest. Watched a youtube video where Gary says Seagrest has his line now and it should be better than what has typically been available. Checked their online catalog and it shows this is what they have (doesn't specify GL, but they are Lake Aytinjo). Just have to find a LFS who will bring them in, hopefully without astronomical costs. I can't pay big bucks, may have to stick with what I can get.

Mostly I was just curious if any average hobbyists are actually getting that kind of color at home.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I'd say the picture has been tweaked a little.

But having healthy fish, them showing their dominance, and under the correct spectrum of light, it's an accurate picture.

You have to remember that a lot of the fish you will get from an LFS, will be mostly juvenile, not adult.

I think the only Lange strain of rainbows coming through Segrest is G. wanamensis. Emerald Rainbows

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
There are 2 strains of Boesemani bred commercially that I know of, the 'red' and the 'orange' <- I would call it orange and yellow...

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
Here's my lone Bosemani. I plan on getting more, but it was the only one available at the time. Still young, so I'm hoping the colors continue to develop.DSC_0606.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store