?Bottom feeders with livebearers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sensei_the_dojo

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
I've been seeing a lot of posts saying that salt is contra-indicated for many fish, especially loaches and catfish if I'm not mistaken. So, if one plans to keep mollies, platys, swordtails, which are said to "need" salt in their water, what (if any) are appropriate bottom feeders or algae eaters to keep with them?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
It will depend on what level of salinity you're dealing with, as well as the specific fish. There are bottom dwellers and algae eaters in just about every evnironment out there--some of them aren't fish.

You may want to look into shrimp. Ghost shrimp will help keep the bottom of the tank clean, and while they aren't as industrious about algae removal as some fish, they do a good job. I keep some in my tank, since my amano's won't cover the entire tank. Ghosts will thrive with a bit of salt, all the way to brackish.

Sensei_the_dojo

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
Ghost shrimp sound cool. Further question, my livebearers (2 mollys, 1 swordtail, 1 mickey mouse platy) all enjoy Wardley's shrimp pellets. Would their taste for shrimp pellets make them prone to going after the ghost shrimp?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Nope. Ghost shrimp are pretty good survivors. If you have plants and such for them to hide out in, they'll be okay. I get mine cheaply and don't worry about the occassional loss, but your fish will probably just ignore the shrimp--or fight with them for food.

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
Simple. Salt is not required with livebearers. High TDS water is, especially for mollies.

Most common corys will be fine in this water. They are very adaptable.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store