Bought a 29 which was over populated ( IMO )

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Nice tank! You really need to shade that nem. It definitely looks bleached and it needs to be acclimated to the stronger T5's. Shade it with the screens and if it settles in well after a week or so feed it some minced fresh seafood once/twice a week. Don't feed right away though, let it settle in. It's going to inflate and deflate quite a bit as it acclimates itself to the new water but if it continues to do that multiple times a day and/or the mouth inverts or gapes a lot for an extended period of time, you really need to watch it.

mhollibush

AC Members
Dec 24, 2010
Savannah GA
Will do... I can move some rock around to shade the nem.. can you tell what it is from the picture? I am not sure what I got... but it came with the 29 and would like it to survive as it would be a great addition to the tank...

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
It looks like a bubble tip. Can you get a closer pic? Has it moved at all? It can and will move on its own to get in a preffered location. If it gets blasted with light it may crawl in a hole to hide which you don;t want because if it is bleached you will want to be able to feed it to bring it back to health (along with the shielded lighting). A bleached nem is sort of like a pale person getting too much sun. I would not use rocks to shade it and really recommend the window screen sheets.

mhollibush

AC Members
Dec 24, 2010
Savannah GA
how do you do the window screens? cris-cross them to deflect the direct light? do you place in the tank or on the glass above where it is sitting?

Right now he is sitting between two rocks - he moved there over night - he starts to open up but if someone walks up to the tank - he will start to close?

should I move him out of that area, as he could easily sneak back into the rocks and I would have to disassemble to get him out.

I tried to get a closer pic... but the camera just blurs it to a big blob - sorry -
I did go and look out on the net and I think you are right - it looks like a bubble tip

Last edited:

mhollibush

AC Members
Dec 24, 2010
Savannah GA
Question - I posted earlier in this thread that the 29 has bristle worms - I am confused on these... some say they are beneficial and others say get them out of the tank because they will kill off your corals and fish... can someone please set me straight. I have not put the LR from the 29 into the 75 as I am concerned about this

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
Bristle worms are good for your tank as they feed off of the detritis. I have seen video of a bristle worm eating a dead fish but it was a large worm.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Will do... I can move some rock around to shade the nem.. can you tell what it is from the picture? I am not sure what I got... but it came with the 29 and would like it to survive as it would be a great addition to the tank...

I would not shade as it can move and choose at will. Just becareful it doesnt get sucked up by any PH/pumps/filters

Although not sure form the pic, it may be Sebae Anemone (H. ceispa?) which comes in many different colors and forms (appearance wise).
Yours may be among one of normal/usual colors.

Good luck with merge!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I would not shade as it can move and choose at will.
I agree that it will move if it is unhappy but it will probably do so to avoid the light and the shaded area it goes to may not be where it really wants to be, but rather where it HAS to be. This will just further stress the nem. The screen allows the nem to find a preferred spot for both lighting and flow and by removing one sheet at a time, the nem can slowly acclimate up to the full strength of lighting. If the nem is in fact bleached feeding it will help bring it's zooxanthellae back but if the nem buries it self in a hole you can't feed it and therefore it won't get light or food.

However, be careful with feeding at this point. Most recommend waiting at least a week after adding a nem to a new tank. Nems acclimate by inflating and deflating by pumping water through themsleves and adding food to the process it not usually a good idea until the nem has acclimated to the surrounding water.

If you use the screen, it just lays on top of the tank (assuming you have some kind of top to support it0. You should be able to remove a sheet about once a week but you can judge that as you go. This may sound like overkill but it is something that I feel will give you the best chance of being successful. Even a fully healthy nem would need to be light acclimated after going from a 2-bulb powercompact to a 6-bulb T5.

I highly recommend that you ID the specie you have and research it's care. Nems are about the most difficult animals we keep in the hobby and if it is not healthy you are already behind the curve.

Sorry for the long post. Good luck with it.

mhollibush

AC Members
Dec 24, 2010
Savannah GA
ok - not sure but here is a update to the nem.

He is still sitting in the same spot - but he is starting to change to a off white / Yellowish color... hope he is going in the right direction - I looked up several images on google and everything is pointing to a bubble tip.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store