Bought a house...came with a tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Dang Ace, if this was a contest you would have won it hands down :)!

Kind of like playing the "I spy" game :)

Flame hawks (red) also walk on their fins and aren't very shy. The will likely eat ornamental shrimp and I recently learned (from Ace) that they can be agressive to other small no-agressive fish.

branflake12

yeah, thats right-purple ROPE
Sep 20, 2005
Iowa City
Ahh! I gotta stop this cyano outbreak. The whisps of the stuff are like 6 inches long. I've got the chemiclean, but last time i used it i might have bothered my anemone. Is the cause of this stuff too high levels of phosphates? Thoughts?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Nutrients and low (or too narrow) flow. Think I recall you running maxijets for powerheads. Is that still the case?

Also, consider the age of your bulbs.

branflake12

yeah, thats right-purple ROPE
Sep 20, 2005
Iowa City
Alright, more pics tonight.
Powerheads are maxi 1200's in each far corner, and a koralia in the middle, facing right. It had been off for a while (chopped up the anemone), but i recently turned it back on (could be partly responsible...turn off?). As for nutrients, anything i can do short of dosing the chemicals again? Im not sure how effective my phosguard in a sock in the HOB filter is, maybe one of those reactors and some GFO would help? I like to avoid buying more stuff if possible. Bulbs (spendy) are 75% OLD. no idea. came with the house. 1 10000K is new, and when i put it in, algae sprung up-so new bulbs=more light for algae growth? Not sure i follow there.

Thanks gang!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
If your new bulb(s) sprung an alage bllom while the old bulbs didn't I would say the old bulbs had faded so much that the intesity and spectrum was too low to even encourage algae growth and when the new bulb went it it was the equivalent of striking a match. As the spectrum of a 10k, 12K bulbs fade they get closer to those spectrums that algae prefer so keeping your bulbs replaced is important. That said, if you have excessive nutrients in the water the spectrum doesn't really matter, your're gonna get alage no matter what.

Water changes and fresh media (good quality low ash carbon and GFO will help). Media reactors are more effcient but a bag in a filter with decent flow should help but again not as efficient. The 2 little fishes reactors are about $50 but you need a pump too so probably $75 plus media. Don;t know much about phosguard. Is that a GFO or some sort of pellet? Phosban and Rowaphos are probably what you will see at most LFS for GFO but there cheaper alternatives online (Bulk Reef Supply, etc.). I have had good results with Rowa but Ace provided an article on another thread which stated that both products were about the same with the only difference being the Rowa is more expensive.

If you didn't have cyano before the Koralia went off that is more than likely the cause assuming all other things area equal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store