Brackish Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

uacich12

AC Members
Mar 6, 2007
TX
Well here you are & there you go. Good thing we have such a forum to explore all the possibilities out there & work thru what is to be believed & that which is not questionable. Goes to show no matter what, from what source, you can't believe everything you read, even some of the most trusted & reputable source's eh........

Quote: Every day is a good day when we learn something new, today is a great day!

Hippocampus

Registered Member
Jun 10, 2006
about gars

Gars are NOT relatives of pipefishes-pipefishes belong to the family of seahorses the syngnathids.

AquariumFish

still playing with wet spots
:help:I keep getting mixed answers when searching for an answer to whether or not fig 8 puffers are freshwater or brackish water: I read this a minute ago on the "about" page.
"Habitat/Care: Controversy exists over whether or not any puffers are actually true freshwater fish. I believe the figure eight to be one of the few that falls in that category. They originate in the freshwaters of the Southeast Asia region, and although they tolerate brackish or even full saltwater, mine have always done best in freshwater. They prefer a neutral pH and soft to moderately hard water. They require ample open space to swim, but also need places to hide."

kinda confused here so thanks for any help,
lovesfish
HOPE THIS WASN'T ANSWERED LATER IN THIS THREAD - if so sorry!

Read post #1 in this thread - they are brackish!

sweetness8t5

AC Members
Jun 22, 2007
Dwarf Puffers live optimal in freshwater, and living in brackish conditions will lower their life span. However, with fish like these,such as guppies, you can adapt them to either fresh and (if I'm not mistaken) even to salt but it's a gradual process. Ya dig?

Gangstafish

gangstafish
Dec 10, 2006
long IslandNY
There seems to be lots of confusion as of late as to what is a brackish fish and what is not. In my book (along with many others :D) brackish fish are: Anablep anablep (4-eyed fish), Mudskippers, Archers, Monos (sebae and argents), Scats (all 4 species-silver, ruby, green, and African), Puffers (Green Spot and Fig 8-are a few less common species that are too-Dwarfs and Bumblebees/South Americans ARE NOT!), Gobies (Knight, Bumblebee, White Cheek, Dragon/Violet, among others), "Freshwater" Snowflake Moray, Black fin Catfish, the list goes on. Feel free to add ones I have forgotten.
Fish that do well in brackish are the Mollies and Guppies, along with few others.
Most common freshwater fish (Plecos, cories, tetras, oddballs, gourami's, etc) are not brackish and few do well in such.
I don't mind all Puffer talk being here as this is where the "puffer groupies" hang out :). But other than that this forum is for only brackish fish. Posts regarding other fish that are not brackish will be moved or removed! Thanks!
Do you have any MonoSebaes?

Staind_Ice

Mud Skipping Goby
Aug 25, 2006
TX
I've found that the Figure 8s do best in FW as juveniles and as they grow their bellies become blackened and if salt isn't added their health tends to go downhill.

jtomer

AC Members
Feb 13, 2008
Ohio
Hey on the toad fish. I work at one of the many stores that seem to be getting them in a decided to spend an evening reseaching them. Here what I was able to dig up. They are brackish, love feederfish, and do sting. The sting is said to be similair to a bee sting and is said to have the same effect on those who are allergic to be stings. They also like to grunt alot especially at night. They can get upwards or eight plus inches. They also preffer a heavly planted or decoratead tank with a fine substate bottom. Hope this helps.

MudskipperFan

AC Members
Aug 5, 2008
no
Real Name
nah
I need you guys to help me with ideas on what I could stalk my 10 gallon brackish fish tank with.
I found something on aqualand about zigzag eels that grow between 3-7 inches.

4oldstuff

Registered Member
There seems to be lots of confusion as of late as to what is a brackish fish and what is not. In my book (along with many others :D) brackish fish are: Anablep anablep (4-eyed fish), Mudskippers, Archers, Monos (sebae and argents), Scats (all 4 species-silver, ruby, green, and African), Puffers (Green Spot and Fig 8-are a few less common species that are too-Dwarfs and Bumblebees/South Americans ARE NOT!), Gobies (Knight, Bumblebee, White Cheek, Dragon/Violet, among others), "Freshwater" Snowflake Moray, Black fin Catfish, the list goes on. Feel free to add ones I have forgotten.
Fish that do well in brackish are the Mollies and Guppies, along with few others.
Most common freshwater fish (Plecos, cories, tetras, oddballs, gourami's, etc) are not brackish and few do well in such.
I don't mind all Puffer talk being here as this is where the "puffer groupies" hang out :). But other than that this forum is for only brackish fish. Posts regarding other fish that are not brackish will be moved or removed! Thanks!
Hello. I live in Campbell California south of San Francisco and near San Jose. I am looking for captive bred Sebae monos that I may purchase. I want a group of at least 6. Any ideas on how I could find some would be appreciated. My local fish store has few and they are imports. I can be contacted at nickelbeesantiques@yahoo. com Thank you

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store