Brackish fungus?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Holly Estuarium

Registered Member
May 23, 2018
Hey, just wondering if anyone has ever had a problem with a grayish to brown fungus (?) or matter on the bottom of a tank? I work as an aquarist at an Estuarium and our 300 Gallon nursery tank developed this weird grey matter on the bottom. It doesn't seem to be effecting the fish, turtles or crabs, but its an eye sore. I have tried everything; water changes, new sand/rock/shells, and the salinity is good, pH normal. So I thought maybe it was over feeding (when I'm not working), but that doesn't seem to help or hurt it. I siphon it out and its back the next day. I have only worked with salt water tanks until three weeks ago, so any advice would be great. Thanks!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Can we get a picture just to be sure.

Chasmodes

AC Members
Nov 10, 2016
I agree with tanker, a pic will help. Maybe diatoms? Is it a new tank? If so, this is likely the culprit. As the tank ages, algae or cyanobacteria will probably out compete them.

If you can keep macroalgae alive, then that could be a nice looking addition to help with nutrient control along with water changes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store