Brand new 20 gallon and I need some advice!!!!!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

alliebally157

AC Members
Jun 4, 2011
I just got a brand new 20 gallon from a friend and I need to know the best brand of filter and heater for this tank to keep my fish happy and healthy, cheap but good would be nice :) by budget is around 25 dollars for a nice small filter and 25 dollars for a heater.... I know its a really tight budget but its a small tank so it doesnt need heavy equipment since it will be filled with tropicals.... thanks! please post!

aclarino

AC Members
Jun 6, 2011
you should try big als online. He has really good prices and has a sale for filters going on right now.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
For small to mid sized tanks on a budget I've always gone with a HOB (hang on back) filter. My brand of choice has always been the aquaclears by Hagen. Even cheaper would be a sponge or UGF if you aren't looking for something the most aesthetically pleasing (or effective in some people's opinions). For heaters I've used the stealths by marineland. I'm sure someone will say that they had an issue with one, but I have had several for years at a time and never had a meltdown. To each their own...just make sure you know if you are getting one that is fully submersible or not ;)

I'm not sure what pricing is like now as it has been a little while since I have purchased anything. My petsmart price matched the online pricing (not all do though) which is where I bought most of my hard ware since at a mom n' pop store they are likely going to be more expensive.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
good luck.... $25 might get you the heater. you cant get the best and the cheapest those almost always mutually exclusive. i personally am a fan of the aquaclear filters. i would put a aquaclear 50 on it. thoughs are like $35 or so. there other cheap options but still looking at $25-30 for the filter and 20ish for the heater.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
I would get either a aqueon 30 or a marineland penguin 350 bio-wheel. The 2nd one is way better as is filters up to 70 gallons and since the tank is smaller, then you only have to clean/change filter cartridges every 2-3 months instead of monthly. The marineland is a bit over your budget, but you could make it up with the cheaper heater. I would get any 50 watt heater(aqueon is good, ebo jager is best). And what about aeration??? You need an aerator if you are planning on getting plants or even if you are not.

AngelFishRock

AC Members
Mar 12, 2011
good luck.... $25 might get you the heater. you cant get the best and the cheapest those almost always mutually exclusive. i personally am a fan of the aquaclear filters. i would put a aquaclear 50 on it. thoughs are like $35 or so. there other cheap options but still looking at $25-30 for the filter and 20ish for the heater.
I agree, I use aquaclear in all of my tanks, the filter media is fairly cheap and they are easy to maintain. I would check ebay. Also as someone mentioned above you always want to go with a step up from the size tank you have, you would probably want a 50. Also look around for an ehiem jager heater, they are fairly priced, I have one in my 30 gallon and I love it. I only paid like $30 for it, you can probably find one cheaper online. Stay away from the Walmart special tetra heaters, they suck, you get what you pay for.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Surface agitation should be all you need for aeration....though many folks like the look of the bubbles...others just don't like the sound of an air pump or the bubbles. You can easily add it later if you chose to.

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name
Jeffrey Smith
Camera Used
Olympus FE-370; Sony HDR-CX580
Since you are on a budget. I would skip the heater for now since the weather is very warm. I would look to get A Aquaclear 110 power filter you will still need a little more money. If you can not raise that then I would go to walmart and get a HOB filter there.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
here is the best filter ever

http://www.amazon.com/Penguin-Power...MDQM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308418551&sr=8-1

only $31 with free shipping and u will only have to clean it every 2-3 months and the best thing is, after cleaning the filter cartridges, u can reuse them month after month until they totally break down(after 6 months).

U can find a used heater on CL for pretty cheap, and I think on aquabid too with free shipping for like $10 or $15.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store