Breeding Assassin snails

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kc2ped

Registered Member
Aug 7, 2010
New York City
I have three adult Assassin Snails in my heavily planted BIOCube 14. A week ago I noticed one of them was always attached to the shell of another. This morning that pair was i the front of the tank and there was a baby snail attached to them. I don't do anything to encourage their breeding or even their survival. They have to scavenge for a living. I can't remember when I last saw another snail in that tank other than a pair of Nerite Snails

DarrylR

AC Members
Sep 17, 2007
Maryland
I would have to say 1. I live in Maryland, and I didn't treat the water any differently, the Temp was around 74ish. I found that they love to lay eggs EVERYWHERE, especially on the glass and any driftwood. Also I noticed that any eggs brushed off will fall into the cracks of gravel, so I stuck a guppy plastic breeding box and the snails took to laying their eggs on that instead.

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
I have three adult Assassin Snails in my heavily planted BIOCube 14. A week ago I noticed one of them was always attached to the shell of another. This morning that pair was i the front of the tank and there was a baby snail attached to them. I don't do anything to encourage their breeding or even their survival. They have to scavenge for a living. I can't remember when I last saw another snail in that tank other than a pair of Nerite Snails
This thread is two years old but obviously still relevant so here goes. Assassins are egg layers, have you seen eggs? They really aren't that hard to breed they just do it on their own. The survival rate I have found is actually pretty good. If food is readily available you will see them mating and you will see their hard little sesame seed (ish) eggs, but that's it you won't see crap else. Then one day you realize you are having to feed the assassin tank and BOOM you have a million gillion of the little boogers.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Here is a link Rachel posted on another forum with pictures of Assassin snail eggs. I've got tons of them in my tanks but have yet to see any eggs. I guess I need to get new bifocals to see them!

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Sorry about the double post, the ghost in the machine is just crazy tonite.

CHRISTINE BAIRD

Christine
Mar 7, 2008
Midlands, UK
Added 2 more assassins to my one existing one as it was not able to control all the snails in my 120lt tank. that was two weeks ago, today I have noticed lots of baby assasins, some already attacking the small normal snails I still have. The assassins I added soon latched on to my single one. It will be interesting to see how the babies mature. So for me it has been easy, however, I still have a lot of existing snails to feed them on at the moment!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store