Breeding bladder snails for assassin

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Apr 2, 2002
New York
I doubt you could removed either enough snails and eggs to clear the tank. Yoy proably need to empty it completely and then let all the contents and the tank to get perfectly dry and be that way for some time. Uou could do a chemical kill with the right stuff. What kills th snails nay not kill the eggs in the those patches.

mommy2girls!

AC Members
Jul 31, 2022
I am intentionally breeding bladder and ramshorn snails for my assassin snail. I found planaria was eating my baby bladder snails. So I treated for them and they are gone. Now my bladders are breeding and I’m finally seeing the babies grow instead of disappear. My next question comes to cleaning up snail poop. I have tried using a turkey baster and a mini gravel vac and even just an airline tube but the problem is I end up sucking out a million babies that can only be seen with a magnifying glass. Do I have to clean the poop or will it eventually disintegrate and be used by the hornwort floating plant? Plus the tank is still cycling. The planarian treatment crashed my previous cycle so I went ahead and cleaned everything to make sure I didn’t miss any worms. It’s on day 23 with 1ppm ammonia and no nitrites no nitrates. Figure it’s going to take a while since it’s a low bioload with sponge filter and no gravel. The equipment you can seen in the pic is not inside their tank. It’s actually in an empty tank behind it 😁 thank you for any advice image.jpg

mommy2girls!

AC Members
Jul 31, 2022
Well I took out all adult snails and held them for 2 weeks to make sure that I didn’t transfer any planarian with them. I then proceeded to nuke the tank with fenbendazole. And yeah it did kill some baby snails but miraculously some survived also. After cleaning the whole tank I put the snails and hornwort back. I lost a lot of the hornwort in treatment also. That’s where the planarian were hiding I guess since I don’t have substrate. That’s the plant that gave me the planarian. Not to mention it also gave me 6 snail leeches and about 2 dozen damselfly nymphs. I didn’t dip it because I had bought it specifically because it was infested with snails. About 2/3 of it has died. I’m trying to save the rest of it by feeding flourish. It’s got a few new buds. A few of the short branches are dying off still but I haven’t pulled it in hopes that it will come back. I’ve read that if even a little piece survives eventually it’ll come back. It’s a fast grower. Now that my tank is clean of all critters except the snails I’m curious if I must remove the snail poop. I know it looks icky but no matter how careful and slow I go I always end up with a ton of mini clear babies in my bowl. I’m horrified to think how many I’ve accidentally thrown out.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
You can use a kitchen colander suspended above a bucket and siphon out the snail poop that way. If the babies are smaller than the colander holes, get the kind that use a mesh rather than just holes.

You can then pick out the baby snails and put them back in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store