Breeding German Blue Rams?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MidnightPyro

AC Members
Jun 21, 2005
Does anyone have any helpful tips for breeding German Blue Rams? The tank I'm hoping to put them in is a 20 gallon long planted tank with softish water (3-4 dGH)

What kind of male/female ratio should they be kept in? For breeding, should they be kept in a species only tank, or can they be mixed with some other peaceful fish (preferably another species that could be bred too? Corydoras or maybe guppies of some sort?) Do I need a separate tank for the potential fry?

Thanks!

jimbravo9

AC Members
Dec 10, 2011
I'd be interested to know as well. I was lucky enough to come across two yesterday and bought them. They appear to be a male and female.

louxrs

AC Members
Jul 15, 2011
From the reading I've done in the past:

Blue rams will not mate simply because you have a male and a female in tank. They usually pair up while still young (juvies)

For breeding, it's best to keep them in soft water. Provide a flat stone for them to lay their eggs on (sometimes they dig a hold in the substrate and lay there). Also, rams tend to be shy if theyre alone in the tank- adding some peaceful species in would help- i think guppies would fare well. Once the eggs are laid, DO NOT remove the parents. The parents are not like livebearers that would eat their fry- rather they do the opposite. They will guide their fries around the tank during foraging. The mother (or father) whoever is with them at this time will fend off anyone that goes close to the babies. If the aggressor is much bigger than the parent, the parent would send a signal to the babies and the fries would all dive down to the substrate and lay motionless.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
typically with cichlids you will want to have several males/females in the tank.. they wil generally pair up while young.
tho this is not set in stone...typically nature institutes the survival of the fittest..and the strong fish would pair up...but in reality.. males can pair with females at various ages and fitness..as ong as there is a will and the fish are willing.. you may only need a male and a female to get a breeding pair.

once you have a breeding pair..you will then need to determine at what stage you may need to intervene if you really want to breed rams.the parents may eat the young or the eggs..just because the spawn..it does not mean they will be the perfect breeding pair and parent raise the fry.many breders will interven at various stages to ensure a successful spawn..from taking the frtilized eggs out once they feel they are indeed fertile to removing the fry at freeswimming.

if you are lucky you may find you have a pair that will parent raise the young.

Ivee seen this occur fairly commonly with rams.. but usually only in breeding tanks..with no other fish sharing the tank
hope this helps

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
Another thing I have read, is that rams are not the best of parents. They have a tendency to eat their own eggs. I have observed this first hand when I had German blue rams. I think it would be best to separate the eggs from the parents after they are laid.

NB_Aquatics

AC Members
Jan 17, 2011
SW Ohio
Real Name
Nick
Another thing I have read, is that rams are not the best of parents. They have a tendency to eat their own eggs. I have observed this first hand when I had German blue rams. I think it would be best to separate the eggs from the parents after they are laid.
Usually it takes a young pair a few spawns to get it right. That is probably what you experienced. You have to give them time.

TheAdmira1

AC Members
Dec 18, 2011
I had mine lay eggs this AM. Theyre in a 60gal planted community tank. Theyre both hovering like crazy and noone else is within 12 inches haha should I remove them promptly or give it a few days? Also the eggs are from one German blue ram and fertilized by a regular blue ram? Not sure if that means anything at all.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I am pretty sure the electric blue ram is a genetic variant. That would mean that the fry will be mixed or that they will carry the electric blue gene. It would probably be best if you remove the eggs now, especially considering you have other fish in the tank.

TheAdmira1

AC Members
Dec 18, 2011
Thanks. Will a 10 gallon work as a breeder? should I Bring the parents over too? And should I grab them out with a turkey baster? Ive been reading that's how a decent amount of people move theirs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store