Breeding German Blue Rams?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
you can try and use a 10 but it's a bit cramped.. on the good side of that the parents may try to raise the fry.

in any event I generally leave the eggs with parents until free swimming.. then decide if I want to move the fry

TheAdmira1

AC Members
Dec 18, 2011
Im going to be going out for the breeder tank, so what size would you suggest getting? I can afford to get up to a 30-40 depending on what kind of deal I can find at the LFS or CL. The mother seemed to be trying to eat the eggs when I was home on lunch today so I think I need to separate them ASAP.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
for rams you only realy need a 20long.

If the parents eat the eggs..it is often for a good reason.
removing the eggs would require more care...including increased circuation(airstone near or under the clutch) the parents would fan the eggs and maintain them.
you may also need to use methlene blue or another oxidizer like hydrogen perxide used as antifungal.
which would need to be removed with water changes as the eggs hatch in 3-4 days..
hatching eggs and rearing young fish will require some extra work. I've lways left the eggs with the parents.. as they often will care for healthy(operative word) eggs ..they will fan them and keep predators at bay..the eggs generally hatch in 3-4 days leaving wigglers which will grow to free swimmers in another 3-4 days.. it is at this stge I usually consider fi I have the time to rear the fry .

TheAdmira1

AC Members
Dec 18, 2011
She ate them all last night :( She was fanning them when I got back from work so I just thought she was moving them around when I was at lunch. Woke up this AM, all gone :(

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
In the wild rams are haremically polygamous; one male will attend several females. Keeping them in a single pair situation is one reason why the can become egg eaters. With only one female, the male has no other outlet for spawning aggression and may harass the single female continually. Soon she sees him as a threat and eats the eggs.

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store