Breeding kribensis cichlids in a community tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ivy Wingo

Registered Member
Mar 21, 2013
Oh! And, as a reply to the original poster (I think), I'd really worry about your krib fry if the rainbowfishes figure out they're there.....so long as the fry stay down among the thick vegetation, they should be mostly ok (those that hatch before being gobbled by egg-sucking loaches) from the rainbows, but you know as well as I do that rainbows don't mess around when there's food (or possible food) in the water.....

And the Synodontis cat will almost assuredly feed on fry during the dark of the night. So, get the kribensis breeding, keep them breeding, and you can raise a whole school of those beautiful Synodontis -- they're happier in groups, anyway : )

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
I have a really lovely pair of locally-bred kribensis in a planted community 90gal tank, and I would LOVE it if they would begin (or even try to begin) to breed!

They both look gorgeous, their finnage and body colors are striking, they're active, but they rarely acknowledge the existence of the other, let alone do any mating dances together.

The tank is fed a mixture of flake, granule, and frozen foods (cyclops, bloodworms, daphnia), and, upon doing some long-overdue upkeep this week, I can see that the kribensis are both doing very well, despite my recent neglect.....

So my question to the success stories on here would be: how can I make them flip the switch? Live foods? Temperature change (the tank stays a pretty constant 79-80)? Any pH or kH parameters that I could modify to induce breeding behavior in these super little fishes? Leave Al Green playing in the tank room for a week?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any information/testimonials you can provide. Cheers!
yeah, um... did you know this is an oooooold thread?! i think the OP is long past this thread.....

Ivy Wingo

Registered Member
Mar 21, 2013
Nope, didn't notice

yeah, um... did you know this is an oooooold thread?! i think the OP is long past this thread.....

Nope, I didn't notice the timing of the thread.....I just Google-searched for forums that might have info on getting kribs to breed in a community tank, landed on this one.

So, does that mean that nobody here could give me any advice on the questions I asked about?

Furby435

AC Members
Feb 1, 2019
Has anyone here ever tried rainbowfish with pelvicachromis pulcher? I am thinking about setting up my 75 with rainbows and a breeding pair of pelvicachromis pulcher and wanted to know if anyone has ever tried it with the smaller rainbows and if they had success or if the pulchers would eat the smallest rainbowfish. I ask because the pulchers get about 4 inches at their biggest and the threadfin rainbows get only 1.5 inch at the biggest and I don't know if there are any rainbows that are even smaller and I am worried that the pulchers might see a fish that small as food.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've kept both those species, but not together.. A 75g is a good choice to try. Will you have lots of plants? That may help...Any other species?

Threadfins are quite small & pretty wimpy; but with only 1 pair of kribs...you might be OK. ..I hope so if that's what you try...good luck!

Furby435

AC Members
Feb 1, 2019
I've kept both those species, but not together.. A 75g is a good choice to try. Will you have lots of plants? That may help...Any other species?

Threadfins are quite small & pretty wimpy; but with only 1 pair of kribs...you might be OK. ..I hope so if that's what you try...good luck!

I was planning on planting a very thick jungle of plants before even adding any fish but I was thinking of having a pair of Bosemani, a small school of each of Gertrude's, fork-tail, threadfin, irian reds, M. praecox, and maybe a few of the really coloful ones. I don't really like the ones that are mainly silver. I have 3 other tanks. I have a 10 gallon that has 2 peppered cories in it that I was planning on moving and I was planning on using for something like daphnia, seed shrimp, fairy shrimp, and/or neocaridina, caridina, sulawesi, and bamboo shrimp since I think it's too small for any fish and I will want to breed some live foods to feed to my fish. I have a 55 that I am planning on putting a pair of apistogramma caucatuoides and a pair of apistogramma trifaciado into. I have a 29 long that currently has 3 bronze cories, 3 sterbai cories, 3 serpae tetras, and 1 blue neon dwarf gourami in it. I was planning on moving the tetras and gourami to the 55 but don't know if they will get along with the apistogrammas when they go in since serpaes are known fin nippers. Also was planning on putting in other tetras and cories if I have enough room in the 55 and if everyone will get along. In the 29, I will have the current 6 cories (and maybe the 2 from the 10 gallon and 2 more to make a school of 10), 6-10 CPDs, and a breeding pair of blue rams. I may also have some snails and shrimp in each tank as a clean-up crew since I am a heavy-handed feeder and since I like snails and shrimp. I want a pea puffer but I am not sure how many snails I would have to have each day to feed it or if I could breed snails fast enough or if the pea puffers would take other food as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store