Breeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
Hey everyone!
So my question is , can 2 different types of Ancistrus plecos breed? i.e. Bristle nose and a rubber lip? Or a Super red and a albino?

Thanks for your time!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Bns & rubber lips are from different genera so it's extremely unlikely.

If you're talking about color varieties of ancistrus of the same species, as I believe the last 2 are, then yes. I'm not sure of the genetics involved (picturing Mendel's square) but you'll get fry with a mix of genes. If albino bns were used to get super red color you may get some albinos. More likely the majority of fry will look like "regular" brown bns but carry the genes for both variations. Then if you breed a next generation from those F1 fry you'd see some of all those colors but still probably mostly brown.

Have you looked at planet catfish or elsewhere? I'm sure there must be more info on the genetics of super reds & other color bns (calico, long fins, etc) & could give you a better idea.

& be careful what you wish for, I hear they breed all the time with lots of fry each time, lol. Good luck!

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
Hahahha I'm ok with them breeding like crazy. My LFS would take as many as I can give them.
Thanks for the info! I will try to look into it more. I'm honestly not sure if I have blue eyed rubber or busy nose or bristle nose pleco lol. No bristles so could be female so not 100%.

Apr 2, 2002
New York

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
Ok, so I guess I have 2 female blue eyed bristlenose plecos in my one tank.... Think I can breed one with my Super red and get some blue eyed bristle noses?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I assumed chaetostoma = rubber lip TTA, I've seen them called that, but I haven't kept them. I hate common names, often several species are called the same or similar names. My least favorite is "hillstream loach" (it's a habitat, not a species or genus!) or "common pleco" , to me it just means large, lol.

Fish from a different genus "almost" never breed together & are way less than apt to produce viable fry...& that's a good thing to me. I prefer not to see hybridized fish by "natural" methods or by hormone injections. Botia loaches & synodontis cats come to mind...but many livebearers can cross & some cichlids too. Please don't go there!

Ian, study up on ancistus, I had "L-144s" ancistrus & all the bristle or bushy nose genetics are a bit clouded...but likely close enough to interbreed...be responsible in what "species" vs "variations" you choose. No hybrids please!!! We (purists) don't want them in our hobby!!! Ewww, NO!! Get the same species as your females or don't do it at all, even though you may be able to.

My L-144s were sort of blue eyed (blackish blue or blue/black in the right light), please be careful & a responsible breeder. From the few L-144 & brown BNs I've kept & seen, the males' heads looked quite different but females look very very similar... Can you trade for a male? Your females may be locally bred, my 3 F & 2 Ms were, so ask around...

No, I don't think you should cross them with super reds.

Last edited:

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
From everything I have read and pictures I've seen. My 3 different plecos are all under the L144's just different variations of it.
But ai will for sure keep in mind not doing the hybrid thing. That wasn't my intention at all lol.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Sorry to go all responsible breeder on you, Ian, but you need to be aware of issues. ASFIK super reds & most (all?) albinos are "bns" NOT really necessarily L-144s, keep researching, it's a gray (grey, lol, eh?) area. Like I said the males look different, the females look the same...

Reactions: the loach

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
You know I am always appreciative of all the advice. I'm tinkering in breeding so any advice is more than welcome. EH!? LMAO

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Just as an FYI, this is from Planetcatfish re L144:

L144 is a one off import - the one male fish that came from Paraguay was at the time bred together with females imported at the same time, and then crossed back to their own siblings to lock the genetic defect that causes the yellow colour. These fish died out in the late 1990s as far as anyone can tell. The fish that is now sold as L144 is a different form, most likely based on Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus. This form resembling L144 can be found under as Ancistrus sp(4).
from https://www.planetcatfish.com/common/species.php?species_id=2487

Just as an FYI, I have been breeding some form of pleco since about 2003. Like most i started with bristlemose. However, I have worked exclusively with mostly the rarer B&W Hypans for the past 5 to 6 years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store