Bricks in an aquarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SCU33ZE

Toilet Power
Mar 23, 2005
South Miami
ok ok i guss its just time i guess but really ,,,tink about it ,,,its dA new century here and brick can got additives i mean am not saying that i wont use it but still il just TRY to avoid cus it look all industrial looking

racingjason

Big Fish Tank..Small Fish Knowledge
Feb 7, 2005
Bricks are made of clay or slate and are baked at 1200 degrees so I will take my chances with them over cement blocks. I promise you they're far cleaner than any natural stone or driftwood. As long as they pass the acid test they are good to go.

Seaman

Shrimp gumbo, shrimp salad etc...
May 22, 2004
Im like air im everywhere (Dallas, TX)
Also a lot of bricks are made like concrete and will raise your ph A LOT!!

Edit: I'm thinkin cynder blocks not house bricks.

But some vinegar on them and if it bubbles I wouldnt use it.

racingjason

Feb 7, 2005
That's why I said to use the acid test! ;)

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Bricks are made from natural materials, fired at high heat. Here's a link on how bricks are made if you want to check it out :)
I see no problem using bricks in an aquarium. You can use cinder blocks and cement in a tank as well, providing they're soaked and go through multiple water changes until the pH settles down. Many people create cave-like backgrounds in their tanks for cichlids using polystyrene covered with cement - as long as you do things correctly, it's not at all dangerous to fish.

spinjector

AC Members
Jan 24, 2005
Hmmm I just had a thought concerning terra cotta bricks. Ever notice what color they are...? Like red....specifically "rust red"....and in IRON oxide red... :) Does anyone know if they use iron oxide to color red bricks? I wonder if they would add any iron to the water...?

racingjason

Feb 7, 2005
It's clay.

racingjason

Feb 7, 2005
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store