brown algae problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
I am having problems with brown algae. I do 50% water changes weekly and scrape the algae weekly, but I think there is way more algae growing than there should be. I first put fish in my tank at the beginning of November. They all survived cycling, but I lost one to ich after the cycle was over. (the others were successfully treated with salt and increased temp.) I did my usual water change before leaving for Christmas, and the fish were not fed while I was gone. (nor did I feed extra before I left). When I returned, I had five new (tiny, less than 1") cherry barbs and 3 large (1-2") dwarf frogs to add to the tank. I was shocked to see that my tank was COVERED in brown algae. You couldn't see the fish because of the algae and the ornaments were also covered. The next day I did my 50% water change, scraped the glass and bleached the ornaments. The tank looked all sparkly and clean again. I lost one of the new barbs overnight though. I decided/hoped it was the stress of the move. (I am only allowed on tank in my apartment, so no QT tank for me). The tank stayed clean for a few days, then some small spots of algae started growing again. Yesterday, I lost an old cherry barb (much bigger), and the brown algae spots had grown large. I tested the water yesterday, but it was fine, and today I did my usual water change and algae scrubbing. I don't mind a little algae scrubbing, but I don't want to do a lot, nor do I want to have to bleach ornaments on a regular basis.
Tank specs: 37g eclipse system with filter in hood
2 4" round air disc stones powered by a whisper pump with two outlets (whisper 60 I think)
Flourescent light in the hood, on a timer 10-12 hours light a day
4 cherry barbs less than one inch, 3 cherry barbs 2 inches, 3 dwarf frogs 1-2 inches
fed once daily--small amount of flake for the fish, frozen blood worms target fed with turkey baster to the frogs once or twice a week, the whole tank (fish and frogs) get a mix of frozen bloodworms and brine shrmp
Ammonia Trace (probably from addition of new livestock), nitrite 0, nitrate less than 20ppm (hard to tell the difference between all the oranges....)

Any ideas on why so much brown algae? I don't overfeed, I am not overstocked, my nitrates are low, yet it still grows and grows....

Emily

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Id cut your lighting back to 8 hrs or so

Sent from my Droid using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Agreed with the less light, if you can find a cheap timer that would shut them off automatically during hours you are not usually observing the tank? Some go so far as to recommend a complete blackout of the tank, no light and no lifting the cover even for feeding, so as to cut off both inputs to algae growth. Fish can survive much longer than that without food so if nothing else works it might be worth a try.

And also, pick up some live plants, preferably cheap and fast growing so you can get as many as possible. Stem plants, mosses, java fern, anything. The algae needs nutrients to grow so it's finding them somewhere. If the plants soak them up for their growth first, algae are out of luck.

that's the theory anyway. I should probably not talk since I am battling an outbreak of BBA out of nowhere after 4 years without. /hangs head in shame

sorberj

wannabe fish whisperer
Sep 14, 2009
McCleary, WA
Real Name
Jerad
Plants are a good idea. If you don't mind some spastic little catfish, a couple of otocinclus will clean it up for you. Personally I like them although some people would argue that you should get to the root of the problem which in this case is probably too long a light period and high silicates rather than adding livestock. I look at it as an opportunity to have a fun fish that I'm growing free food for.

Please forgive any typos. This was sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using the MonsterAquariaNetwok App

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
Thanks for the input. I have always read/heard that with brown algae, light is not really the problem. (But it can't hurt to put less light on my timer) (actually a few web sites went so far as to say that with brown algae, the problem was too little light, but I think they assumed a densely planted tank). I do like ottos, but I'm afraid they are too little to keep with an angel fish, and I do plan to have one some day. I think if I remember right, BN's also eat brown algae a bit, don't they? I know most algae eaters only go after the green....

Emily

metricliman

Senior Member (not)
Dec 6, 2012
New York
Yes, bristlenose plecos eat diatoms. I'd test your water for phosphates and if possible silicates. I personally think the problem is not too little light. The theory behind this is more light will encourage growth of the green algae which I think is BS. Total blackout should work to kill off that algae, I'd also reduce feeding, don't feed the bloodworms and brine shrimp to everyone. Have you thought about an upflow algae scrubber? (Link:http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...minate-green-hair-bubble-turf-and-slime-algae)

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
brown algae is actually a tiny critter called a diatoms.

they are more often a problem in new/newer glass aquariums and are often the result of silicates leaching from the new glass tank.
It is possible they can come from substrate also. I had this happen in a 75 gallon acrylic tank with new substrate.

it did go away on it's own.

is the tank set up new(less than 1-2 years old)?

IME, the amount of light may or may not affect the growth..I've seen it in tanks with the light turned off and only ambient light available. it does help to reduce the photoperiod in most cases where algae is a problem..but remember we are actually dealing with a tiny animal. it uses silicates to form its shell.
the problem will usually go away on it's own once silicates are gone.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I recommend oto cats. Great little algae eaters and they are fun to watch as well. They love brown diatoms but have more trouble with green algae.

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
I knew brown algae wasn't a true algae. Couldn't think of diatoms/sillicate though. Yes, it's a newer tank, just set it up in October, put the first fish in in November. I have no idea where to get a phosphate or sillicate test. I love Ottos, but I am afraid my eventual angel fish would eat them. I am on the lookout for a BN pleco though. I'm hoping my LFS has one, but if not, I may do mail order. I usually only feed bloodworms/brine shrimp to the whole tank once a week right before the water change, so I don't think that affects it too much. Otherwise, it's a small amount of flakes and target feeding of bloodworms to the frogs while the fish are eating their flakes.

Emily

5dollarsplash

AC Members
Oct 13, 2012
Careful with the bloodworms with your frogs. Had bloat issues with my dwarf frogs on bloodworms. Getting them used to a sinking food has helped a ton, they actually compete with the cory's and young cl's for nls pellets. We still treat them to shrimp and bloodworms about once a week and their growth has been excellent.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store