brown algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

maverick1320

AC Members
May 29, 2009
I am starting to get a brown algae bloom on my sand. My nitrates are about 2.5 and my phosphate is almost back to 0. This was caused by a phosphate spike. Does anyone know if this would hurt my corals if I left the lights off for 2 days to kill it off ? This has always worked for me in the past with fish only tanks but I have never done it with coral. I have xenia, zoos and glaxea in the tank.

Ken_Allen

AC Members
Sep 16, 2008
It's just brown diatoms. They happen with a cycle and sometimes with too much light. Throw some crabs and snails in and they keep the sand and glass clean of it. Also, the magnets on the side help. I wouldn't turn your lights off for two days as your corals need it.

My rocks are completely brown, but the crabs keep everything else clean. I have about 10 crabs in a 20G.

maverick1320

AC Members
May 29, 2009
I have plenty of snails but lately there not keeping up with whats on the sand. It's getting a bit heavy. I was trying to stay away from the hermit crabs just so they won't kill my snails for thier shells. looks like i might not be able to aviod that.

Ken_Allen

AC Members
Sep 16, 2008
I have plenty of snails but lately there not keeping up with whats on the sand. It's getting a bit heavy. I was trying to stay away from the hermit crabs just so they won't kill my snails for thier shells. looks like i might not be able to aviod that.
I have many crabs and many snails and I haven't had any dead snails from crabs stealing their shells. The crabs will really clean/turn over the sand so it's not so brown.

maverick1320

AC Members
May 29, 2009
i've been looking and I can't seem to find when the recomended amount for a tank is. Don't want to overload. My tank is an odd size. it's app 50 gal but the base is 36 x 12. it's a tall tank. what is the suggested amount for a 55gal ?

skippy2

AC Members
Mar 14, 2004
holland, mi
Visit site
I don't have any hermits in my tank and don't miss them at all. I use trochus, nassarius and ceriths for what algae I do have. BTW,ceriths are great at eating diatoms.
I have LPS and softies in my tank. No SPS. I turn my mh off every few months for 2 days. My corals look better than ever and my water is crystal clear. I've been doing this for almost 7 yrs. and haven't had a problem with it yet/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store