Brown Algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bobbi619

AC Members
Jan 17, 2003
Washington
Visit site
What do you use to get the brown algae off plastic plants? I scrubbed em under tap water but it came back really fast. My CAE isn't doing his job very well:rolleyes:

avoxo

FORE!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 25, 2003
North Providence, RI
Visit site
Hi bobbi619, well first off what is a CAE :confused:, now for the good stuff; how many gallons and how long have you had your tank up, what kind of lighting (watts)?

Brown algae is actually not algae but diatoms and is normally the first algae that will get established in a new tank (less 6 months) that has been cycled. They feed off of the high levels of nitrates, phosphates and silicates (all of which are the byproducts of a cycled tank) and thrives in low light conditions. The best way to control these guys are to back off on feedings and to do regular water changes. In time the brown will be taken over by green algae if there is proper lighting (at least 1 watt per gallon).

Brown or green algae can be beneficial to your tank, but can ruin the look of your tank. Goodluck

Avoxo

superstein61

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Well, I agree with the above about regualr water changes, good managmenet, etc - BUT since you asked about what you can use to clean brown algae off of plastic plants - try Jungle Seri-Clean.

Simply tank the plants out of your tank, spray them with Seri-Clean, let it soak for a few minutes, then put them in a bucket, fillit with very hot water, stir the plants around a bit and drain.

Rinse several more times til the water stays clear to be on the safe side.I have used Seri-Clean in the past on some decorations / fake plants from a smaller tank (not my main one now) and it worked wonders - and I never had a problem when the plants went back in the tank affecting the fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store