Brown stuff on moss

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Posiden

AC Members
May 22, 2010
can some one tell me whats wrong with my moss...it has little brown powdery stuff on it...and it spreading all over my tank...it doesnt look right....

kanvas

AC Members
May 12, 2009
Portland, Oregon
My moss is a debris magnet. Can't keep them clean for more than a week.
But yours has some stringy stuff on there too, might be some sort of hair algae.

timwag2001

AC Members
Apr 25, 2009
MA
i agree with the debris. what a pain. i dont even want my moss anymore because of it.

and it still looks like you have your thread algae

kanvas

AC Members
May 12, 2009
Portland, Oregon
It might also be dying. Thats the color of dead moss for sure.
Not necessary dead. They are just covered in debris. Mine looks worse than sometime, I just take it out (it on a piece of wood) and rinse it well in the kitchen sink, and the green color would show up again when the mulm is washed away.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
the "thread algae" definitely looks exactly like the moss, but dead and without leafs. the picture quality is not helping this discussion at all. that is definitely the color of dead moss though... can't deny that. doesn't mean it's not algae though.

lighting, care routine and fert schedule might help addressing the problem once we have a better pic to go off of.

Rjb3

AC Members
May 17, 2009
Could be Diatoms. When I had them, it looked like it snowed rust all over everything. I treated with a Phosphate-Silicate remover.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store