bubble coral won't open

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

maverick1320

AC Members
May 29, 2009
I purchase a really nice bubble coral last Tuesday and it still hasn't completely opened up. It closes up every night and open about 1/3 of the way each day. All my levels are good and nothing seems to be bothering it. I spot fed it a piece of krill and it took it. It's in good shape no discoloration of damaged bubbles. Anyone know if they normally take a while to open ? It's in a medium-low current with medium-high light.

maverick1320

AC Members
May 29, 2009
dkh 11
calcium 500
nitrite 0
nitrate 2
phosphate 0
salinite .026
silica 0
amonia 0
temp 80-82 throught the day

DSR

AC Members
Apr 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Probably just getting used to the new digs. however, you alk and ca are a bit on the high side. Although I don't think it would cause problems in the long run, it may be having a harder time getting acclimated because of the increased levels. Pictures would help though. MY frogspawn will be large or small depending on how it is feeling at any given moment. May be something as simple as that.

maverick1320

AC Members
May 29, 2009
my alk and cal have always ran that high. It's weird. I don't use any additives. I know my temp is a bit on the high side as well. Gotta love this weather.

DSR

AC Members
Apr 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I wouldn't worry about the 80-82 all that much. But the alk and ca are some crazy high readings. But if everything else is stable (including your pH) then I have no idea. LPS can be weird like that.

maverick1320

AC Members
May 29, 2009
Those readings and all my others are extremely stable from week to week. My cal stays between 450-500 and the alk between 9-11. Just were they always are.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
When I think of bubble corals it always reminds me of the late 80's. Those were one of the few corals people could actually keep back then, but then in the 90's technology got better and tanks started getting cleaner, and it became harder to keep bubble corals alive. So from that info, IMO bubbles like low-med light by todays standards and a little more food in the water column than we are used to. I think things like GFO and carbon usage actually made it harder to keep them alive today.

Try moving it to a little lower lighting and see how it responds. I bet it opens up more as it stretches for more light.

maverick1320

AC Members
May 29, 2009
i moved him to the bottom and also put him in a lower flow area. he opened a little more but still only about 40% open. Not sure what else to try.

TropicalNorth

Bligh..The Demander Of Attention..
Jun 9, 2006
North Queensland, Australia
My bubble coral took a while to fully adjust to my tank when I first put it in, maybe 3 weeks or so. It would open a decent amount but not to the fully expanded shape. Now it is always fully out and very healthy.

Have you had a look at it at night, well after all lights out? Does it extend its feeding tentacles?

I wouldn't worry too much, just give it some food and time. Also a DKH of 11 isn't that high really, I keep mine on 10. Plenty of people keep it around 11 to help with coralline growth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store