bubble wands

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tetra_girl

AC Members
Dec 21, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
Anyone know the best way to clean and maintain a bubble wand?

I know you can clean/rejuvenate air stones by boiling and then soaking in bleach, but am not sure about my bubble wand. It's the kind that looks to be a tube of paper like fibrous material with perforations in it.

Right now I just rub off the algae on the surface. However I am sure it will eventually start clogging like a regular air stone, and green algae seems to easily embed it's self in/on.

Rocketman

Detroit; proud of it.
Oct 24, 2002
Detroit, MI
Real Name
Reid
I hear that vinegar is safe to use in tanks. I am not sure though, and I am only replying to this in hopes that in bringing your topic up to the top, someone else may be able to help you with more experience

tetra_girl

AC Members
Dec 21, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
Actually, up here in the Great White North (lol, I'm in green Vancouver) it cost me more like $15 (it seems whatever aquarium accessories are $1.99 US are $5.99 from the Canadian suppliers, which is worse than the exchange rate + it was also a nice long one).

I know, that's still pretty cheap but I'm a bit of a penny pincher and like to reuse/fix things when I can. ;)

Thanks Rocketman, vinegar would be worth a try. I could soak it/run it with the air pump in a pyrex dish of vinegar every now and then when it starts clogging/getting embedded with green algae (and of course rinse/soak it out well).

karfixer

AC Members
Dec 3, 2002
So. Cal
Visit site
Vinegar is quite safe for aquarium use, I've been adding it to my water (3 tbls per 5 gal) to lower the Ph for a Long time. I've had no problems with the fish or their fry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store