Building a community around Pelvicachromis taeniatus "Moliwe"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tophat665

Minion of the Scaled Ones.
Jul 13, 2006
NoVa
Hey there. Not getting any traction on this question in General Freshwater, so let's give it a shot where the folks know something about West African riverine cichlids....

I picked up a bag of Moliwes at auction last week and set them up in a 40 long. Couple of sponge filters, lots of caves, mixed substrate heavy on the sand and mulm, floating some driftwood, will be planting it heavily over the next month or 2.

At the moment, though, they're rattling around like peas in a bass drum (They're all about 1" long or a bit less).

I have been pondering adding some killifish to the mix. I have 2 pair of Aphyosemion striatum "Myoko" and a trio of Fundulopanchax gardneri "Gold". I was pondering adding the A. striatum to the 40 after I get a spawn or two out of them.

What do y'all think? Good idea? Bad? Need more info to know?

Help a brother out.

That's step one. Once I have some idea on that, we'll move on to step 2.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Never kept the taenies, but I've had great success mixing apistos and killies. Once I figured the ideal median temp for them, it wasn't that hard to get both producing fry at a respectable rate, and given the differences in preferred areas, both groups of parents tended to stay away from the others' fry. The important thing to remember is to provide sufficient cover for everyone. The java moss that baby apistos love to feed in also happened to be a perfect spawning medium for C. bitaeniatum they lived with. Hope this helps.

Tophat665

Jul 13, 2006
NoVa
Excellent, thanks! I guess the bottom line is give it a try and see what happens.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Why not keep it real and use a school of Procatopus similis "Moliwe"? You can be sure they like the same water!

Tophat665

Jul 13, 2006
NoVa
Well, that would work, but I have Aphys on hand, and I have never seen lampeyes of any species for sale hereabouts (and I understand that they ship poorly, and am not thrilled with the concept of shipping fish on a retail level to begin with. Not rational, but I've learned to deal with that.)

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
If you have interest I have a colony that I just set up a couple of weeks ago. No production yet, but when I see some I could ship you some eggs. They ship very well and aren't too difficult to raise. If your local LFS deals with Atlantis Tropicals for their African Cichlids and will do special order you can get them. I drove up to Atlantis to get mine.

Tophat665

Jul 13, 2006
NoVa
PM sent

N0bodyOfTheGoat

AC Members
Apr 25, 2010
Hi, I'm about to go on a West African semi-predatory biotope adventure and I'm interested in your Fundulopanchax gardneri. I currently plan Golden Wonder Panchax instead of any African killis, as the Panchax is a top dweller (vital as mid and lower is sorted) and will hold its ground against the 10cm+ fish living below them.

Would love to hear back from you about your experince of the gardneri :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store