Building Large Planted Aquarium/Terrarium/Paludarium 10x11 feet

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
i am incredibly jealous. it will be gorgeous.

hand watering that setup was definitely not the way to go.

i like the intermittent spray system. be sure to put in an extra-large size, extra fine pore size filter to keep debris in the water from plugging the spray nozzles; otherwise you will be constantly changing them out. see if you can find a convenient place to put the filter so that changing the element does not become an all-day project either.

Abin Philip

AC Members
Nov 16, 2013
Hi..the work had been going at a slow pace...as its going along with the house construction...

The Paludarium set up got painted...the paint used was the one used to paint ships(as it can last forever with constant water contact)....colour used was Matte Black, with various shades used. ...Gilt was used to get a look of sparkle ....the hanging roots were painted brown....

Posting below the updated painted pics..
of front view, hanging roots, top of paludarium, stone work close up...

frontnew1.jpg

roots.jpg

roots2.jpg

stonecloseup.jpg

top.jpg

frontnew2.jpg

frontnew1.jpg roots.jpg roots2.jpg stonecloseup.jpg top.jpg frontnew2.jpg

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Interesting choice of paint. I guess because it is designed to last in such a harsh environment it wouldn't leach any chemicals into your paludarium? I like... no, LOVE, the way its taking shape.

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
looks great so far

Abin Philip

AC Members
Nov 16, 2013
20140823_175542_zpscb0c5a53.jpg

The front glass was fixed....and water was filled ...and is being tested for leaks.. there a small leak at lower corner(a drop an hour or so)...which has to be rectified.

Next the filter and pump has to be fixed. The pump will pump water to the UV filter, which will return in the form of waterfall and streams.

Simultaneously planting of plants above water area is to be started. There are a total of 80 cavities in total(above water)...large enough even for small palms. thinking of bringing in a rain forest look with palms, ferns and mosses.. and other plant suggetions are welcome. As i am new to it.

There is bit of reflection on glass, which may be controlled once curtains/blinds come on the opposite window along with proper lighting to tank.

Plants planned underwater are Anubias, Ferns, Moss, Echinodorius varities, Vals etc. All hard varieties, that can survive in natural sunlight from top.

20140823_175542_zpscb0c5a53.jpg

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
absolutely spectacular.

i do hope that the paint is not designed to be used on the hull of a ship, since those have slow-release biocides in them to reduce fouling.

Abin Philip

AC Members
Nov 16, 2013
Thinking of planting the following plants...need suggestion regarding whether they will strive using natural sunlight....receives direct sunlight from top at afternoon at different parts( top is 12mm glass to allow sunlight inside from top)....gets good light at other times of day...the water depth is 3 feet....

Echinodorous amazon
Echinodorous sp ozelot
E.Major
E.Rubin
Sagitaria gaint
valliserina gaint
Crpyt wentii
Aponogeton Undulates
Hygrophilla difformis
Hygrophilla Angustifolia
Nymphaea sp leopard
Red Lilly

Bolbitis Heteroclita
Marsilea sp
java fern
staghorn fern
Anubias
Monosolenium tenerum
Java moss

I hav had experience keeping the abone plants and have found them to be hardy...but will they survive using natural light.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store