Built my first Tank!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Luca Brazzi

AC Members
Oct 12, 2002
Visit site
I paid 155.00 for a 3/8" 4x8 sheet cut to size for my 75 G from a local supplier, and 72.00 for an uncut sheet of 1/4". Im building a tank and a bio-tower/sump... total cost? Well I guess I needed to get a couple of odds and ends (cement, cement applicator, 150 tooth saw blade) so that would tack on another 30.00. Not bad when you consider that drilled 75 gallon acrylic tanks go for about 350, and sumps (like the one Im building... bio tower with slide out trays and 3 gallons of bio balls) for 200+

Luca Brazzi

AC Members
Oct 12, 2002
Visit site
I started building the bio-tower this weekend. What I plan to do is have an acrylic biotower with 3 slide out trays. The top 2 trays will be 3" deep with drip plates for bottoms. The last tray will be 5.5" deep with egg crate on the bottom. Each trays internal dimensions are 12" x 12" and they made from 1/4" acrylic. The top tray will contain a mechanical filter (100 micron filter cloth). The next tray will be empty but can be used to hold anything I want (activated carbon etc). The 3rd tray will hold up to 3 gallons of bio balls (I am currently trying to cycle 2 gallons of bioballs in my bathtub). The whole biotower will then be placed into the sump (acrylic tank) The bottom of the lowest tray will be about 5" off of the bottom of the sump... this will be the normal water line in the sump it should be enough to cover the Mag Drive 500 submersible pump I bought. This weekend I built the bio ball tray, and 1 drip plate. I tested the drip plate with the filter cloth in it and it seems to handle the flow from the mag drive.

This is my first attempt at doing this so your criticism is greatly appreciated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store