Bulk Red Clay Source?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I use natural red clay in my substrate, root tabs and my lily pots. For just the aquarium based stuff I can get away with whatever small quantity local stuff I can find at craft stores but for the lilies as well I need a bit more. Best deal I've found is here at Axner. $10 minimum order requires 20lbs ordered and with S&H it comes to about $32, about $1.60 per lb. Anyone have a better source?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I've picked up from Ceramic Supply on Rt 46 in Lodi in the past,

I can't remember price off the top of my head, but I think it was maybe $5, They had 5lb bags, 10lb bags and probably bigger prepackaged, and would likely weigh out a specific amount if needed.

I really am hazy on the details, but it was a pretty awesome place to go and browse, they are only open every other week if I remember correctly, but give them a call, they were pretty helpful.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Hmm, 1 hr 10min drive for clay is a bit far. But if I am in that area (which is possible since everything is in that general area) I will certainly check it out! Thanks! :)

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
At least you're in the same state !

There may be other places, We just happened to be 5 mins away at a meeting after that. And it ended up to be worth the trip, it's a cool place

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store