Bumblebees are still out

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ROLLIN

fanta fanta, do you want a fanta?
Dec 4, 2001
New Brunswick, Canada
I saw one today while I was getting firewood, and saw another on a flower when I was unloading the wood. I don't recall seeing them out this late any other year.

S.A.

WHY? Cuz I can...
Oct 19, 2005
I see you are in NB. I'm in SE Washington state. We have been seeing "wooly buggers" (red (orange)/black catepillars) since about mid-September. Usually a sign of an early, wet winter. But the very next day I saw 2 bumble bees also.

I think we are in for a very bizarre winter in the northern latitudes.

S.A.

WHY? Cuz I can...
Oct 19, 2005
Picture of one of them:

september 14 download 008.jpg

ROLLIN

fanta fanta, do you want a fanta?
Dec 4, 2001
New Brunswick, Canada
I don't think I have seen those before.

It was up to 26 degrees today I think. That's crazy this late in the year.

Malefic23

AC Members
Nov 7, 2006
Charlotte NC
Welecome to global warming I'm afraid. I read an article (can't find it to post a link) that said we have already exceeded the ten year, worst case, pollution senario. That's right. We're already past the worst predicted place we could be in ten years. So we may well be seeing accelerated weather changes. It's been a nice species folks.

Fungi

Knock-Out Stuff
May 6, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Ugh, you should see us down here with El Nino, playing absolute havoc with our rainfall... but on the bees note?

I rescued one yesterday... don't want to upset The Hive Mind

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
Bah. welcome to EVOLUTION. we can't blame ALL of this on global warming, after all, the climates have been changing since LONG before we had the resources to create the pollution we do today.

global warming is just a good excuse to point fingers at everybody else, IMO. It's bound to happen, and I'm willing to bet there isnt crap we can do about it.

S.A.

WHY? Cuz I can...
Oct 19, 2005
I think up to a point you are correct JdoubleR (about the pointing fingers). There has been global warming... well since we were a globe (hahaha. sorry). And there is evidence that some of the changes have been extreme and fast.

But with the coming of the age of industry, we (as a species) have definetly had some sort of an effect. I just am not comfortable blaming all of the warming trends completely on man, not when the planet cycles anyhow.

Should we being doing all we can to be "green?" You bet. We would be stupid not to do so. If we have a complete wait-and-see mentallity, and it turns out we are our own downfall, then it is case closed and the cockroaches can have the planet. Yes, there will still be a planet and there will still be living creatures. They just won't have to contend with us.

Last edited:

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
Bah. welcome to EVOLUTION. we can't blame ALL of this on global warming, after all, the climates have been changing since LONG before we had the resources to create the pollution we do today.

global warming is just a good excuse to point fingers at everybody else, IMO. It's bound to happen, and I'm willing to bet there isnt crap we can do about it.
totally agree.

they also dont tell you that the planet used to be much hotter than it is now...like during the time of the dinos. MUCH warmer. plus, we're still coming out of an ice age

Jaysn

AC Members
Jan 16, 2007
My hive is in for the year it seems, but I saw one flying around yesterday at work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store