Butterfly Rams

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dobermann

AC Members
Oct 23, 1998
Boston, MA
www.geocities.com
Ok I got a pair of Butterfly Rams (they are a little less than an inch) and six Green Swordtails to accompany my 4 Peruvian Angels and Farlowella in the 37 gal.

Immediately the Angels became more active and seem to really benefit from the company.

The Rams even at their small size seem to be engaging in pre-spawning behavior and were doing so even when I saw them at the petstore which is why I got those individuals.

Anyways this is my first experience with Rams. Can they breed at this small size and will they cause any harm to my still juvi Angels?

Any other suggestions as far as tank inhabitants? I was thinking a school of six lemon tetras or Bleeding heart tetras.

Their has been no aggression so far really.

Z Man

AC Members
Apr 21, 2001
Western New York
members.aol.com
If you have Microgeophagus altispinosa (Butterfly Ram), they are almost impossible to determine the sex at under 2". They do not need the drastic water conditions of the Microgeophagus ramerizi (Blue Ram). Since they are interacting it could be simply because they are siblings and have grown up together. They are too young to breed at this time. It will be very difficult to obtain fry from any dwarf cichlids in a community setting.

Dobermann

AC Members
Oct 23, 1998
Boston, MA
www.geocities.com
Voila

Ok these are what I have

They are a little under an inch and are acting like they want to lay eggs right in the sand. They are digging in the sand in the front right corner of the tank. I am surprised because I have read that they require very specific water requirements and are somewhat hard to breed and I have had them for one day. So it would be great if they did actually lay eggs.

So it would be hard for them to raise fry in my tank I mean they only have to defend against juvenile angels and some green swordtails?!

I hope they can raise some fry that would be cool.

Cichlid Woman

Dwarf cichlids rule ...
Nov 27, 2002
central Illinois
Visit site
Those are Blue Rams.

What's the pH in your tank?! Mine's 7.8, and I've got a male Blue Ram who's been in there a long, long time. Seems healthy, too. I'll add a female when I can get back to the lfs (an hour away) that obtains them from a breeder who uses our local water. The pH is high, and he successfully breeds them!

-- Pat

Z Man

AC Members
Apr 21, 2001
Western New York
members.aol.com
OK Doberman, As you can see in that photo, the female has blue spangles in her side spot and the male does not. She also shows a pink belly but that may not show up unless she is filled with eggs. As for breeding, yes they will lay eggs a lot of times in a community tank whatever the water is. BUT even if the eggs turn into wigglers, the fry will not survive in hard water or a community tank. Blue Rams are not the best of parents and seem to roam around once and a while and that's when the other fish grab the fry. Once free swimming the toughest part is finding "live" food small enough so the fry can get it in their mouths. They are much smaller than Apisto fry which can eat live baby brine shrimp right away. You just can't breed these guys by mistake, I'm sorry.

Dobermann

AC Members
Oct 23, 1998
Boston, MA
www.geocities.com
OH MY!!!!!!!!!

My Blue Rams just laid eggs on the sand in the front corner of my tank!!!!!

I have had them for 2 days!!! Am I good or what!

Ok so now what?

I want to keep these babies!! Somebody please help me!!!!

Dobermann

AC Members
Oct 23, 1998
Boston, MA
www.geocities.com
Otra vez

I don't know if these eggs are going to last. The parents are still juveniles and seem abandon the eggs and start swimming around chasing each other alot....:rolleyes:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store