C-360 added to 75g

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

robbob2112

AC Members
Jul 10, 2008
Black Hawk, Colorado
Well, I did the deed and added a marineland c-360 to my 75g tank. So now I have a Fluval 405 and the C-360 and the water is crystal clear.

Thought I would compare the two in case someone is on the fence about which to buy. I bought the c-360 largely based on recommendations here. Summary at the bottom.

I like the overall capacity of the c-360, but I dislike the VERY stiff hoses. The hoses are hard to manipulate and route. They are so stiff that it makes pointing the intake and output where you want it difficult at best. The over-the-lip connectors could be better mounted to compensate for the hoses. Guess I am spoiled by the ribbed hoses on the 405.

The way the quick disconnect locks into the head seems a little clunky to me.... again I think the Fluval method is better, except for the swivals... those like a lot. One little note, when I lift the lever on the c-360 the bottom level gets caught in the top one, so I have to pull it out before I can turn it. If it were 1mm longer that wouldn't happen.

Water bypass... there is NONE on the c-360 at all... On the Fluval there is a good bit so the marineland filter wins hands down here.... less bypass means better filtration.

Noise - Seems the Fluval is almost silent and I can hear the c-360 running. They are both very quiet but I wouldn't mind the 405 in the bedroom but I wouldn't want the 360 in there. Maybe it will quiet down some after having run a week or so. Since it has only been running 24 hours there may still be some trapped air that hasn't worked its way out yet.

Maintenance - The Fluval is simpler to take apart and clean, but only slightly. The c-360 you have to line up the intake pipes on the baskets just so or they won't sit together. That I am sure is a practice thing.

Overall... The c-360 seem to be the better designed filter but the hoses and disconnect could use some work. If I had it to do over again I would probably buy the c-360 again.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I love the 360s.

robbob2112

AC Members
Jul 10, 2008
Black Hawk, Colorado
Well, several days into it and the C-360 has quieted down and is now about the same as the 405.... so all is right with the world, except the tubing is still stiff and still makes positioning the outlet difficult.

robbob2112

AC Members
Jul 10, 2008
Black Hawk, Colorado
Well, 2 weeks in and I was cleaning the 405, so I took a look inside the c-360 and cleaned it (nothing more to do, except rinse the floss in the final stage) ...

Bought a rolling plant stand to keep it on, since the beast is heavy when full and I have it beside the aquarium under the counter top.. so on my hands and knees to get to it.

Talk about a pain to get it re-primed and the air out of it... it is as noisy as the day I hooked it up originally, sure hope it quiets down quicker than 3 days like the first time..

Second, it was leaking around the head... had to take it apart again and grease the o-ring with some food grade silicon lube to make it stop... nothing unusual there, just means I had to haul it out again.... the futz with re-priming again.

The C-160 on my QT tank was simpler and no trouble at all.

Maybe it just takes getting used to, but the maintenance on the fluval filters sure seems a lot simpler.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
The 360 is heay, for sure. Keep all the O-rings lubricated and the cover plus the quick disconnect assembly are really tight fitting. Did you all but fill it with water after cleaning?

robbob2112

AC Members
Jul 10, 2008
Black Hawk, Colorado
I did all but fill it when cleaning.... and I found out my problem... checked it after 15 minutes and it was leaking inside the head unit... then down onto the floor.

Was still very very noisy... so disconnected it again... and emptied nearly a quart from inside the part where the cord goes... not good.

Being a handy person and knowing it is to late to do a straight exchange... I took the thing apart to find where it was leaking.

Turned out the seal under the primer button had a slow leak and was letting water out and air into the system. One loose screw on corner of it... I took it off, cleaned it up and re-lubed that casket with silicone grease and after complete re-assembly all seems to be well. Primed easy and is running quiet as before I started fiddling and no leaks.

All I can figure is that screw wasn't tight from the factory and when I primed it this time I unseated the gasket.

I took pictures of the whole thing torn down and putting it back together if anybody wants to see what it looked like inside I can post them.

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Sure post them..always helps others to see a filter's parts...

robbob2112

AC Members
Jul 10, 2008
Black Hawk, Colorado
Here are pictures of the C-360 taken apart:
1. 2 x screws on the top cover - #1 phillips for screws
2. 4 x screws bottom cover and impeller cover - #2 phillips for screws
3. Impeller, cover, shaft, rubber dampers
4. Primer and primer gasket ( my top right corner screw was loose)
5. Gates from under primer, fit in slots from next pic, ridges facing out, little bars face down on top of gates
6. Slots for gates under primer
7. Everything removed
8. All the bits and pieces
9. Bottom side of handle on top.. sure don't think I would pick it up full with that... figure it is only to lift the cover off once unlatched
10. All back together

01 - top screws.JPG 02 - bottom screws.JPG 03 - impeller.JPG 04 - primer and gasket.JPG 05 - gates from primer.JPG 06 - under primer.JPG 07  - taken apart.JPG 08 pieces.JPG 09 - underside of handle.JPG 10 -assembled.JPG

robbob2112

AC Members
Jul 10, 2008
Black Hawk, Colorado
Update -

The fix for the leak lasted a couple of days and then started up again... so apart the whole thing came again... then I put it back together without the silver cover on it.

Hook it all up, only 2 latches used... and open the valve and no leaks... plug it in and turn it on... slow leak from around the outlet, slow enough that it would have taken hours to fill the top with water, then overflow outside..

Bright flashlight and I notice that the outlet itself has a vertical crack. Called marineland and explained what was happening and sent them the attached picture. Would have required a new motorhead to fix, so they shipped me an whole new unit. Guess I have lots of spare parts now.

Color me very happy with marineland for honoring their warranty with no trouble or arguing like some other companies do.

cracked outlet.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store