CA/SA cichlid people chime in

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
I have a pair of convicts
they are currently in a 10g, but I just bought a 75 g to which they will move to when it is cycled

I wish to make it a cichlid tank

how many, and what kinds of cichlids could I put in there with them

PS-the convicts are VERY small, like 1.5"

and if I am wrong and convicts are not american, please steer me in the right direction

I plan to have a sand bed, plenty of large rocks, driftwood and live plants in the tank...if that helps any

thanks in advance, I'm excited to plan a new community

another note: I am an experienced aquarist, but I have not had much experience with cichlids, so perhaps more difficult ones should not be suggested

Co/\/vict

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Columbia, TN
Alright bud, here's your options, you could turn that ENTIRE aquarium into a one fish tank, or you could have smaller, less aggressive cichlids..... the convicts you have are from south america, so avoid any AFRICAN cichlids if at all possible. The convicts are very aggressive when breeding which people tell me is extremely easy. Plants won't live with convicts, not many cichlids tolerate plants, there are a few though. Some good choices for a 1 fish 75 gallon is a ......

Midas
Oscar
Jaguar
Trimac
Jack Dempsey
Green Terror
many others.......

and if you want smaller fish........

Convicts
Firemouths
Severums
Earth Eaters
many others........

and the main concern you want to have is that cichlids are very messy fish, so consider haven't sufficient filtration for them, a 75 should have at least 2 emperor 400's I would say.

Sand substrate is a good choice. Some cichlids really like it.
Make sure to have plenty of caves, and some cichlids really like driftwoods too. And most of all make sure before getting another cichlid that it won't kill every fish in there. It is pretty hard to find cichlids that will tolerate eachother.

Congrats on the 75,

Co/\/vict

Mattimeo

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
Ontario, Canada
Actually, convicts are central americans, and prefer hard water unlike their soft water s.a. cousins.

convicts are WAY overrated in the aggression department, as are jack dempseys, the "green terrors" available in the hobby, and many others. If you want cichlids, I advise you steer clear of all but the largest of plants, as most cichlids do like to dig. Java fern, java moss, bolbitis fern, riccia fluitans, and java moss are a few examples of plants you can tie onto rocks or driftwood, and thus, will not be molested by non herbivorous cichlids. IMO a beautiful setup would incorporate some larger sized gravel (over 1 inch diameter granules), a bunch of rocks and driftwood with the various plants tied on. Inhabitants would include:

*breeding pair convicts
*breeding pair firemouths
*a shoal (10-12) rainbowfish (I think that red hued rainbows would look natural with the rocks and driftwood)
*a few anostomas sp. (max 3, avoid using java fern or other soft leaved plants with these guys as they'll eat em down in no time)
*a trio of jewel cichlids (watch out as they can be nasty when breeding)

that would IMO be a great setup.

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
WOW guys, EXCELLENT advice

and I REALLY want a multiple fish setup, so an oscar wouldnt' really suit me very well

right now I do have one emperor 400, but not 2...

anyways...I am happy to hear that my ideas of large rocks and driftwood will please these fish, I've always wanted convicts and since I got my pair a few weeks ago I've been a very happy fishkeeper

Mattimeo-why would I want a trio of jewels as opposed to a pair or two pair, is there a reason for the trio?

another question: are these fish all goign to be 4-6" eventually, if so, I think that your suggestions will work BEAUTIFULLY in the 75, man I'm pumped

perrito_blanco

Cichlidophile
Sep 9, 2002
NJ, USA
Originally posted by latazyo
I have a pair of convicts
they are currently in a 10g, but I just bought a 75 g to which they will move to when it is cycled
Quick question...

What else is in your 10 gallon tank? Are all of the inhabitants going into the 75 gallon?

If so, why not just put the filter from the old setup on the 75 gallon and you avoid having to go though the cycling period.

Just a thought.

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
the only other thing in the tank is a small pleco (like 2")

and yeah, he'll be goin into the 75 with them

the problem is, I have a whisper 10-20 in there

and the 75 has an emperor 400

can I just put the filter media in there with the 400?

Arkady

AC Members
Dec 2, 2002
San Francisco
sf415.cjb.net
okay, I may sound stoofid for this, but wtf is the difference between an African, CA and SA??? I wouldn't really know how each cichild falls into one catagory or another, unless it has to do with their original habitat, like which part of the planet they're from... someone please enlighten me..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store