CA/SA cichlid people chime in

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Z Man

AC Members
Apr 21, 2001
Western New York
members.aol.com
Many African cichlids come from the Rift Lakes which are cool in some areas with hard water. South American cichlids are in mostly warm very soft water. Central American cichlids live in cooler water than SA's and the water is a little harder but not as hard as those from the Rift Lakes. Then people always confuse West African cichlids with those of SA because the also are in warm soft water BUT putting them together in the same tank may cause problems due to the fact that their 'fright' patterns are different. Some patterns are striped vertically and others are horizontal and the fish may not recognize which is which.Yes! I depends where each fish comes from originally! They may exist in each others conditions but won't be happy and may not be able to re-produce.

perrito_blanco

Cichlidophile
Sep 9, 2002
NJ, USA
Originally posted by latazyo
the only other thing in the tank is a small pleco (like 2")

and yeah, he'll be goin into the 75 with them

the problem is, I have a whisper 10-20 in there

and the 75 has an emperor 400

can I just put the filter media in there with the 400?
Just throw the whole filter onto the 75 gallon tank. The only reason you need to cycle the tank is to establish the proper bacteria colonies in the filter. You're really cycling the filter, not the tank. Since you have a 10 gallon tank with an already cycled filter, just add the filter!

Then I'd take 6 gallons or so of water out of the 10 gallon and add a gallon of the water from the new tank to it every 10 minutes or so to get the fish acclimated. Then just net them and throw them into their new home. After a month or so, you can remove the smaller filter if you need it for the 10. The new filter will have been well seeded with bacteria by then.

Co/\/vict

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Columbia, TN
Originally posted by Frameshift
From FishProfiles.com -

Convicts are from Central America dude.
Thank you for your comment frameshift, that was so needlessly added to a post that was already 100% none of your concern, congratulations!

And it is STILL South AMERICA!

Last edited:

Co/\/vict

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Columbia, TN
I forgot how on EVERY other forum you go to they have to remind you that the people from here are @$$holes, and you are not allowed to make mistakes. And if you do, around 30 people will come into the thread and flame you because they are all old people spending 300+ on a stupid fish. lol

perrito_blanco

Cichlidophile
Sep 9, 2002
NJ, USA
You're over-reacting. No one is flaming you. Lighten up.

You're the one who has the name "Convict". :rolleyes:

Anton Wernher

AC Members
Feb 24, 2002
NC
Convicts hail from slower waters of Central America such as from Lake Atitlan in Guatemala. While they inhabit a large range I believe they are not found much more south than Panama.

The reason why mistakes get pointed out so quickly here is that there is a large number of experianced fish people who read these threads. I don't understand how this is a bad thing. It simply adds to the knowledge of everyone who reads these posts. Peronally I appericiate it when people point out mistakes to myself... sometimes it surprises me how long I have gone with wrong information in my head. In short this hobby is a full time learning experiance.. don't be upset when someone trys to help you.

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
thanks for the men that are not hijacking...hehe...jk

ANYWAYS, I'll add MORE difficulty to the situation

right now the 10g with teh convicts has ICK, and it is being treated

SOooooooooooo....

should I still do the filter thing, or will that spread ick to my new 75g?

Anton Wernher

AC Members
Feb 24, 2002
NC
If you buy the fish from a LFS and the fish was tank raised chances are it has been exposed and is a carrier of ich. So I don't think this will cause a problem after it has been cleared up. Might want to verify that with someone though. Anyway I would treat the ten gallon with convicts until the ich clears up. After a month or so of no visible signs of ich then I would go ahead and move the filter.

1 fish 2 fish

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Grand Rapids, MI
Visit site
I would suggest Blue Acaras, I think they appreciate sand also.

I hope you don't mean Colorado Avalanch by avs in your signature, as I am a Wings fan. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store