CA/SA cichlid people chime in

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
Originally posted by Co/\/vict

it is STILL South AMERICA!
Convict. Give up man you are wrong. No big deal. It happens everyone makes mistakes. Geez. To carry on after being proven wrong?????

This is quoted word for word from the Lexicon of cichlids by Dr. Herbert R. Axelrod.

Herichthys Nigrofasciatus: This fish was originally described by Guenther in 1869. It is the most popular of Central American Cichlids and often is called the convict cichlid.
Central american my friend,

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Originally posted by Co/\/vict
I forgot how on EVERY other forum you go to they have to remind you that the people from here are @$$holes, and you are not allowed to make mistakes. And if you do, around 30 people will come into the thread and flame you because they are all old people spending 300+ on a stupid fish. lol
Now that was just uncalled for. So you were a little geographically "off", and were corrected, so what?..no one was being an @$$hole as you so eloquintly put it....and if this forum is so bad, then why stay? All these "old" people arent flaming you because you were wrong... but instead, maybe it's the aggressive, immature attitude thrown back in their face for giving correct information.

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
alrihgt, some answers

thanks for the advice on ich, I hate the sh|t, but hopefully it'll be gone soon, it has infected TWO of my tanks over thanksgiving holiday

about the convicts- they are only 1.5", so I don't know if they're "old enough" to breed yet or not, but they have been behaving suspicisously and the female REALLY likes to be in her cave, so I don 'know if there is some breeding goign on or not, they seem to "flirt" a lot, and I know they aren't fighting

and YES, that is Colorado Avalanche, but I'd consider myself more of a Patrick Roy fan, have been since the old days with the Canadiens and the 1993 Stanley Cup
I just watched my first NHL game last Friday in MPLS Avs vs. Wild, excellent game might I add

ANYWAYS, back on topic

would this work?
4 convicts (they're my favorite)
2 firemouths
2 jewels

how would that fare in my 75 once it is up?

1 fish 2 fish

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Grand Rapids, MI
Visit site
Originally posted by ScottoMacD

Convict. Give up man you are wrong. No big deal. It happens everyone makes mistakes. Geez. To carry on after being proven wrong?????

This is quoted word for word from the Lexicon of cichlids by Dr. Herbert R. Axelrod.

Central american my friend,
Or we could drop it and forget about it.

1 fish 2 fish

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Grand Rapids, MI
Visit site
Roy is real good, I think the Avs will beat the Wings this year, if they meet in the playoffs. They aren't off to a good start with the new coach and Yzerman gone half the season.

How are the Stars this year, and who is their goalie?

As for the fish, Geo are a lot of fun, not very aggresive, but they spend most of there time, looking for food in the substrate, I've heard they have great personalities also.

Zeb

Ingredients: 90% water
Feb 6, 2002
Bozeman, MT
Hemichromis species are from the rivers of africa, so I would not suggest a jewel.

Normally I would heavily suggest a severum and blue acaras..I own both, and find the sevs to be my favorite of all my fish. I'm not sure how they would do with convicts though... I have a breeding pair of cons, and i think they are pretty mean.

Jack Dempsey may or may not be a good choice. I love the fish, and I've owned two. One was a lethargic psycho which cut a convict in half....but this was in a smaller tank. My current dempsey bothers noone, and is always out. Eats out of my hand readily, and even follows me across the tank....I think that has to do with the fact I bought it young, raised it in a 150 gallon tank, and has many hiding spots as well as dither fish.

Anyways, I'd ask around and get second opinions from other members about compatibility, as my experience is fairly limited.

Some fish I would consider though are:
Firemouths
Severums ( if the cons won't tear them up )
Blue Acara ( Same deal )
Jack Dempsey
Chocolate cichlid ( not sure how it would work out, though )

and I suppose there are alot of other fish as well.

I think if you had alot of hiding spots in a large tank ( 75 gallons isn't bad! ) with relatively few cichlids and dither fish, AND you purchased other fish larger than the cons, you could have some pretty good luck. That way the cons wouldn't be as likely to attach a larger fish, yet they could still stake out territory. The dithers would distract them as well, and hiding spots help everyone.

Good luck...

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
alright, one question, wo uldn't a dempsey get huge?
and I didn't know jewels were african...I am looking at:
4 convicts
2 firemouths
2 watever we decide on for the final pair, perhaps acaras or severums, but I dont' know anythign about either of the two, don't even know what they look like

as for hockey

yeah, I am not sure who their golaie is after Belfour left, but the western conference is always tougher (just a joke to that Devil's fan guy)

I hope the Avs do well, but after seeing them at the Excel Center, I think the Wild are straight up a better hockey team this year, and the Avs need to get their sh|t together

Mattimeo

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
Ontario, Canada
Why not hemichromis? They require pretty much the same water conditions as chocolate cichlids, severums, and acaras. Majority of jewels you find in the lfs' are captive bred several generations, and thus would most likely have been raised quite a few generations in neutral ph water. I have kept jewels with centrals many times without qualms. As a matter of fact, I have a hemichromis payeni in one of my tanks, and am purchasing h. fasciatus and 6 h. frempongi (both are excessively aggressive and will be kept alone, as any c.a. partners I try will most likely end up shredded).

I still stick with my beliefs in these fish:

*4 convicts (try for 1 male and 3 females, 2 breeding pairs may be a bit much)
*3 jewel cichlids (mated pairs are hard to come by)
*pair firemouths (make sure that upon introduction, they are initially larger than the cons and jewels by an inch or 2)
*6-8 rainbowfish (maybe 10 if you want, like I said, red variety would look best with the cichlids IMO)
*3-4 anostomas or small leoporinus sp. (again, no large species and watch out for soft leaved plants)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store