CA/SA cichlid people chime in

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ronne

IAMCANADIAN
Nov 27, 2002
48.25'00"N, 123.22'00"S
Visit site
"about the convicts- they are only 1.5", so I don't know if they're "old enough" to breed yet or not, but they have been behaving suspicisously and the female REALLY likes to be in her cave, so I don 'know if there is some breeding goign on or not, they seem to "flirt" a lot, and I know they aren't fighting"

You may want to check the cave she REALLY likes to be in, she may have eggs in there. My convicts first bred at 1.5" and they're on their second batch of eggs in the last 5 weeks!

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
Originally posted by Ronne
"about the convicts- they are only 1.5", so I don't know if they're "old enough" to breed yet or not, but they have been behaving suspicisously and the female REALLY likes to be in her cave, so I don 'know if there is some breeding goign on or not, they seem to "flirt" a lot, and I know they aren't fighting"

You may want to check the cave she REALLY likes to be in, she may have eggs in there. My convicts first bred at 1.5" and they're on their second batch of eggs in the last 5 weeks!

ok...get this

this morning I went to feed them, and as you probably know,t he second the light comes on and the lid is open they are up there waiting for food, this mornign I coudlnt' even see them, I put the food in their tank and waited, no sighting of them at all, then I began to panic and think they were dead, so I started lookin around, and sure enough, they are in fine health, they were just hiding in their cave, it was really bizarre, I hope they are breeding, this would be exciting for me

Zeb

Ingredients: 90% water
Feb 6, 2002
Bozeman, MT
oh, I've seen cons breed at 1.5 inches.....it can happen.

And I still wouldn't go with Hemichromis, just because it's my personal preference not to mix fish from different areas. It's true they probably would do fine in the same water, and the same diet...not sure how their "body language" differs though.

About the severums -- all the pics I found online didn't look too great, but seeing them in person made me love them. Now I own two and I think they are GREAT. They can stand up to fish such as firemouths and cons,....but I'm not sure how blue acaras would do.

If I were you, I'd either pass on the cons or keep two females, or two males. But I certainly wouldn't do TWO breeding pairs. Seems like trouble to me.... from what I've read if you have two breeding cons in a community situation, they may try to kill all other tankmates.

Jewels are harder to mate as well, but i've heard they are MEAN when they do.

I've also read somewhere that to truly make rainbow fish school, you need a large tank with 10-15 fish and something to make them feel threatened. But I have no experience with that, it's just what I read.

And a Jack Dempsey would be fine, IMO...better chances of it with the cons, too. Females are smaller, usually 8 inches...and the biggest male I've seen was 12".

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
excellent to hear Zeb, I've always wanted a Dempsey, but the Petco thing says "up to 15inches" so I dind't h8ink it would fit,b ut your information gives me new hope

alright, I have also heard from a friend that when you have 2 pairs of convicts, one of the pairs becomes dominant, and I wouldn't want that either

so here is the updated plan:

3 convicts (they are a must)
1 dempsey (sex to be determined)
2 firemouths (I like the way they look, but I will also take your other suggestions and look at severums to see if I like those too)
10-15 small schooling fish
and I'll try to get a bottom feeder, but I don't think anything will survive in that warzone

Zeb

Ingredients: 90% water
Feb 6, 2002
Bozeman, MT
I think you're wrong.... get an ancristrus/rubbernose plec. They can handle it, and their bristles have been said to protect their eyes from attacking fish.

As for the dithers, I'd suggest Silver Dollars. They're common, cheap, and I find mine to be quite enjoyable....

If you MUST get cons, why not just get your pair and leave it at that? You'll have the best chances that way, IMO.

And I'm certain a JD would be OK in the tank, IF and only IF you get one that isn't a terror. Sometimes they are shy, sometimes they are killers. I think if you get the fish at one time and raise them from when they are young you have a much better chance. Plus, other cichlids and dither fish will surely make the dempsey less reclusive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store