CA/SA cichlid people chime in

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Co/\/vict

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Columbia, TN
bad idea man, 3 convicts, if they breed, can get mean, a jd is said to need a 55 to themselves, and I can vouch for that seeing as I own one, severums get 8"and can sometimes be aggressive, and convicts and firemouths fight eachother quite often (I have experience there too)

Qsmon

Registered Member
Dec 3, 2002
SF Bay Area
Visit site
I see once again looking through this thread that the main point is lost at times because of lurkers .....this over some geographical dispute . The question was what could he put in his tank not whree it came from. All the expericenced thread watchers jump all over the bad advice .... Their knowledge no doubt is there but misdirected into some battle with someone who may think they know, rather than engaging someone who is looking to know.

I Think the Mods should move that stuff over to a new forum for battle royales...
for those who know and those that think they know!!!!:confused:

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
alright....I think I can handle only having my original 2 convicts

CO/\/VICT-- you say the firemouths and convicts fight...is there another type of fish you'd suggest for this tank?

undertow

Factory sealed for your protection
Dec 4, 2002
Las Vegas,NV
Visit site
Sorry to go back to the topic of hockey,but the goaltender for the Dallas Stars is Marty Turco. Go BLACKHAWKS

Number2

AC Members
Oct 31, 2002
Whistler, BC
Originally posted by Mattimeo
Why not hemichromis? They require pretty much the same water conditions as chocolate cichlids, severums, and acaras. Majority of jewels you find in the lfs' are captive bred several generations, and thus would most likely have been raised quite a few generations in neutral ph water. I have kept jewels with centrals many times without qualms. As a matter of fact, I have a hemichromis payeni in one of my tanks, and am purchasing h. fasciatus and 6 h. frempongi (both are excessively aggressive and will be kept alone, as any c.a. partners I try will most likely end up shredded).

I still stick with my beliefs in these fish:

*4 convicts (try for 1 male and 3 females, 2 breeding pairs may be a bit much)
*3 jewel cichlids (mated pairs are hard to come by)
*pair firemouths (make sure that upon introduction, they are initially larger than the cons and jewels by an inch or 2)
*6-8 rainbowfish (maybe 10 if you want, like I said, red variety would look best with the cichlids IMO)
*3-4 anostomas or small leoporinus sp. (again, no large species and watch out for soft leaved plants)

Just out of curiousity, and completely unrelated to the main thread , can you have any support fish (algae eaters, bottom feeders, ect) with Jewels or CA cichlids? Had a pair of Jewels once for a couple of weeks, and they had completely mauled my precious Kuhli Loaches. :mad: Had to give them away before I ended up flushing them down the toilet. 'Twas not a good day. :(

They're in a good home now, but I still miss that kuhli loach. <sigh> I did really enjoy the jewels when I had them though, and wouldn't mind someday setting up a tank for hemichromis. Thinking Dwarf Rainbows for dither fish.

Oh, and Go Vancouver Canucks!!! The 1 in 12 year run at the cup is approaching!! :D

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
Originally posted by Number2
Oh, and Go Vancouver Canucks!!! The 1 in 12 year run at the cup is approaching!! :D

hahaha...I felt the same way with the Canadiens

Mattimeo

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
Ontario, Canada
I'd leave the dempsey out... with a max size of 10-12 inches, 2 cons would be hard pressed to take a fish that size on... they'd get stressed.

A 75g is ALOT of space, convicts use very little compared to alot of other cichlids. I've had breeding pairs of cons in a 35 community withouyt qualms... the other fish just gave them some space and that was it.

Provided the territories are defined, a breeding apir of jewels, a breeding pair of cons, and a breeding pair of firemouths can all live in a 75 with some targets. For example, I'd put a rock pile w/ cave in 1 corner, a rock pile with cave in another corner, and a bigger rockpile with 2 caves in the centre. Between each cave, I'd use large obstructions to block the views of the fish from other pairs; large pieces of driftwood with plants attached do nicely. also, if you'd like, to even the tank out, on each corner cave/pile you could stack it reasonably high and attach some plants so the corners don't look so low in comparison to the obsrtuctions.

Yes, bottom dwellers can be kept with breeding pairs of fish privided they are tough and stay well clear of the pair's territory. Khuli loaches are like worms, they'd get slaughtered after 2 bites. However, I'd rather not use any as at night, when the parents might be taking a quick rest, they'll eat the eggs and get killed by the pair. Many bottom dwellers are persistant and keep going back for eggs, each time taking a beating, until eventually you're left with no eggs and a beat to near death bottom dweller.

For targets/dithers, I'd use rainbows, as they are more colourful, won't eat plants, and aren't as big as silver dollars. With cichlids, I wouldn't use more than 4-5 silver dollars (and that's pushing it), whereas if you go rainbows, 8-9 isn't unreasonable and leaves space for a little something extra (not another cichlid though).

Mr.Jingles

It's Aqua Live!
Aug 26, 2000
MI, USA
Guys, I dont think it was necissary to flame Convict after he was told once why people correct eachother. Im sure he wasnt feeling too great about it, as his post suggested, so why highten the tension by being aggressive towards him. Your post may have sounded gentle to you, but certain words or phraises can easily be misenterpreted as flamming. Anton Wernher did a nice job of explaining it and Convict didnt fight back. So be warry of when and what you post.

I personally have blue acaras and find them to be cool fish. I havent had them long enough to know them, but I would recamend (sp?) them for any semi-large tank. They arent too agressive and they look nice as they get older.

Ive heard jewlels can be very aggressive fish when breeding. Convicts, ive heard, will kill other convicts, if not other fish, in the tank while they are breeding. Firemouths dont have a reputation of being too agressive. I havent tried firemouths before, but my bro has and the one that he kept was fairly nice to the inhabitants of the tank.

so, yeah...you could also go for a ton of Dwarf Cichlids from SA. Or just make it a cool African tank. Or a CA. I recamend going one or the other, but dont mix. You could also do a search on central american cichlids and save yourself the trouble of waiting for replies.

hope your tank turns out great.

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
well...I already have the pair of convicts and I REALLY like them, and this will be their new home, so I just need some suggestions of fisht to add with them

I am very into natural lookin tanks, so I have plenty of large rocks and slate, etc so I think the fish will have plenty of places to make territory

ummm.....so
2 cons
2 fires
2 jewels
2 acaras, hemichromis, or 1 JD

the last line is the line in question

ALSO...I plan to move the common pleco that is in with the convicts into the 75, do you think I should move him in BEFORE the cichlids to better his chances of making it, etc, because then the convicts won't think he's invadaing their tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store