cacatuiodes sick need help with diagnosis

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dave76

Home Zookeeper in Training....
May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
I have noticed red spots around my cacatuoides right eye. I had been dosing with melafix hoping to correct that issue, but I recently noticed a white tuft forming along his lateral line.

I tried to get a good pic but this is the best I could do

Anyone have any suggestions? Is this the start of HITH? is it just a scrape that is being hit with a secondary infection?

What should I treat with. The white tuft sticks out a little. His behavior is normal and appetite is good. Any help is appreciated.

dave76

May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
what else is he in with?
He is the alpha fish in tank stocking as follows.

1x apisto cacatuoides 2.5"
1x German blue ram 2.5"
1x Gold Ram 2.5"
1x Apisto agassizi 1.5"
10x neon tetra 1"
3x cardinal tetra1-2.5"
1 sae 2"
6 panda corys ranging from .5"-1"
5 Otocinclus
1 african dwarf frog
2 zebra nerite snails
7 cherry barbs
3 endler's livebearers

Tank is cycled but I did have a water quality issue about 2 weeks ago when there was some rotting plant material I needed to remove.

Currently tests 0 ammonia
0 nitrite
20 ppm nitrate
gh 300
kh 120
ph 6.5

55 gallon tank

My waterchange schedule is 10 gallons twice a week on wednesday and sunday.

He is behaving normally and does not appear stressed.

Tank is heavily planted with one large econdrius, ludwigia repens, water sprite, anubias nana and cryptocorne wendtii. All plants are healthy and grow at expected rates.

dave76

May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
i just asked because those look like wounds.
Thats what I thought as well, he likes to chase other fish, and I thought maybe he got himself on some of my driftwood. Thats why I was treating with melafix. Would you suggest continuing the melafix or isolation and other treatment?

dave76

May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
Heres a couple more I was able to take with a better camera

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
i would honestly incraese the frequency of your water changes. When mine get beat up, I do every other day water changes in order to help them heal. If its looking like secondary infection, then you may need to treat with antibiotics.

dave76

May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
i would honestly incraese the frequency of your water changes. When mine get beat up, I do every other day water changes in order to help them heal. If its looking like secondary infection, then you may need to treat with antibiotics.
Same amount more frequency? OK will give it a try. He certainly may have inflicted a wound on himself while chasing another fish, I was just concerned because my agassizi had a roughed up caudal from where he was before I got him and he has gotten better, but this has stayed about the same for a couple of weeks now. If the tuft gets bigger at all I will try that for sure with the antibiotics. Any suggestions for what kind?

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
It really doesn't look infected to me (from those pictures). You would see real cottony tufts (if it was a secondary fungal) or red-streaking if it was infected. His attitude/demeanor and feeding would likely be effected as well.

dave76

May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
It really doesn't look infected to me (from those pictures). You would see real cottony tufts (if it was a secondary fungal) or red-streaking if it was infected. His attitude/demeanor and feeding would likely be effected as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store