Can a Nano Filter Cycle?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

H2OGarden

AC Members
Nov 10, 2009
Louisiana USA
I'd like to use a nano filter in my new betta tank. Can a filter rated up to 6g (will be used in a 9g, possibly planted) successfully cycle?

Specifically, I'm using a bottle of Dr. Tim's fresh from the company, and I'm thinking about the Toms Mini filter. Is there enough media to cycle and stay cycled?

Any better filter ideas for a 9g tank. I need a very slow/adjustable and very quiet filter.

Thanks!

sorberj

wannabe fish whisperer
Sep 14, 2009
McCleary, WA
Real Name
Jerad
For a single betta that filter will probably be enough although I generally recommend getting a filter that is larger than necessary rather than pushing the envelope on a smaller one. As for cycling, the size of the filter doesn't matter, the size of filter controls how much waste can be processed and whether there's enough flow to provide appropriate circulation in the tank. Do keep in mind that the bacteria in a bottle type products provide a temporary bridge until the long term bacteria colonize. It may be possible to to have a mini-cycle if those bacteria aren't able to sustain themselves and the long term bacteria haven't fully set up shop yet.

Please forgive any typos. This was sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using the MonsterAquariaNetwok App

Last edited:

sorberj

wannabe fish whisperer
Sep 14, 2009
McCleary, WA
Real Name
Jerad
That one should work. The gph will recirculate your tank 5 times per hour which is the minimum. If it were me I'd probably spring for the extra 10 dollars and get the next size up or one of the aquaclear filters so that you can have something more than a betta in there at a later time if you want.

Please forgive any typos. This was sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using the MonsterAquariaNetwok App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store