Can angelfish be housed with mollies, platies, and all those livebearers?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ILOVEBETTAS

It's Cory Lover's cat!
Can angelfish be kept with mollies, platies, and swordtails? I really want to keep both.

Thank you!

coupedefleur

AC Members
Jul 25, 2006
NW Ohio
If the livebearers have fry, and the angelfish eat some of them (and the livebearers eat the rest) will this upset you a lot? If not, there shouldn't be a problem. With the swordtails and platies, you can rig a 10 gallon up as a breeding trap, and move the females just before they drop fry, and you'll end up with more fry than if you left them in an all-livebearer tank.

Mollies would do better with some salt in the water, and that's not all that good for angelfish. And mollies don't like to be moved just before they give birth, either.

If you've got them in a large tank (and you should), the swordtails will tend to zoom around a lot more than the platies will.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
mollies do not need salt in the water.

FreakIndeed

Yo yo yo!
Oct 7, 2006
Columbus, OH
Yes you can, but if the live-bearers give birth in the tank with the Angels, the Angels will chase around right behind them gobbling up the fry pretty much as soon as they come out. This can be very stressful for the live-bearer. The fry the Angels miss, Mom will eat. It's also a little sad to watch!

fish_freak

Retired Mod
Feb 15, 2002
Great Barrington, MA
wataugachicken said:
mollies do not need salt in the water.
They will react amazeingly positive to it though and live longer healthier lives. You should see the ones in my brackish tank. There colors are 10 times better than when they where in the freshwater at the LFS and they are much more active now as well constantly doing the deed. Im gonna have millions of them lol.

Now for your question yes they will all live ok together. The mollies may pick the the angels though I dont know whay but they love to pick at the sides of bigger fish maybe eating slime coat?

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
i would have to say no other than platies, especially in a 30 gallon tank.

first of all, male mollies can get nippy as they age if there are not enough females in the tank. the same is with swordtials.

guppies stay to small, and they might get eaten themselves.

platies are the only suitable livebearer choice to live with an angel. they dont get nippy and are just all around good fish. if you want livebearers with angels, platies are the way to go, and any fry will get picked off by the angels.

jtpage

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
I've got 4 red platies and 4 angels in my 29 and their the best of friends! they seem to get along perfectly. Plus the platies really add lost of color and excitment, they're very active.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store