Can anyone help with ID

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snugglebunny

Registered Member
Apr 19, 2003
Visit site
I have little white things all over my tank.
Does anyone know could it be baby turbo snails?
they are very small, white, look like a small coiled up worm!

votek

AC Members
Feb 20, 2003
New York
Visit site
Possibly Copepods or Brine shrimp?

In either case they are not bad as long as you have something like a skooter blenny or arrow crab that preys on them.

Im not 100% sure on this ID though, so hopefully someone like Orion will help out ;)

Satchmo

AC Members
May 28, 2001
NJ, 16E
Do they move? It should be pretty easy to tell if they're little snails.

Sounds like they could be tiny little fanworms to me. They look like coiled worms. Can you see tiny filter feeding feathers coming out one end?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yep, most likely stony tube worms. There are several varieties, most stay small. They come and go in cycles--one month, there are crowds of them, the next month only the shy two or three. Not a big deal, though the leftover tubes can be a pain if the build up on the glass--easily scraped off, though!

snugglebunny

Registered Member
Apr 19, 2003
Visit site
What to do? Good or Bad?

They have not moved. Should have thought of that.
If it's worms are they bad, will my fish eat them, what should I do about them?
Thanks for all the input so far!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Tube worms are just here. They are not--they don't harm anything. Some fish, like triggers, and angels, may pick at them or eat them, but it's not a big deal.

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
Tube worms come in on live rock. They live in abundance in parts of the ocean where LR is harvested, and many survive the curing process. They aren't harmful, they can just cause a mess on your glass.

There are worms that are bad, such as those that cause Black Ich, but tube worms are harmless for the most part.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store