can fish throw up?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

laurabb

AC Members
Jan 7, 2007
Sometimes when a betta is fed a poor diet... or has been starved, they will poop a thin white line of fecal matter. It could be that or it could be a parasite. Was it alive? Was there anything unusual about one end or the other? I'd have to see a picture of what you're describing... the threads and the spit-up from your betta. It's so diffcult to determine what it is... : /
I don't think the white stringy thing was alive. It just seemed to be floating around in the water, and now I don't see it (must be on the bottom of the tank, hidden in the marbles). Each end looked pretty much the same; I didn't see anything that looked particularly like a head or anything. I do see a small brown thing at the bottom of his tank, which I'm hoping is a poo, and not a piece of uneaten food. Is there any harm in treating with Jungle Parasite Clear, or is this jumping the gun?

Signus

Aquarist, not Aquarius
Oct 17, 2004
Gainesville, Florida
That'd be jumping the gun. Paracites will make their presense known. Most fish poo is stringy.

---

Ps. My "fish throwing up" experiences are from the docks and piers (about 6-30 ft of water), but yes, you're totally right about fish and pressure changes. Always felt bad about popping the airbladders on unsized groupers, then releasing them to an uncertain fate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store