Can I add anything to my planted community 52 gallon tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PetTide_YT

AC Members
Feb 3, 2021
Hey, I have a 52 gallon (210L) 100x40x55cm tank filtered by an fx4. The tank is planted and this is my stocking right now: 1 angelfish, 7 neon tetra, 4 cherry barbs, 3 mollies, 4 Otocinculus, 5 albino corydoras, a Siamese algae eater and a bamboo shrimp. Is there anything I can or should I add to my tank? Have around neutral soft water.

I’ve attached a pic of my tank

image.jpg

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Very nice looking tank! It would be better to get more neons, but angels and neons are not a good mix, as the angels grow they tend to eat them one by one. Corydoras do better in larger schools as well.

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
I agree with the loach about neons, I would choose to remove them and obtain larger tetras, I would also remove the mollys because in the correct environment they reproduce quickly and soon you will have more of them.

Reactions: the loach

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Hey, I have a 52 gallon (210L) 100x40x55cm tank filtered by an fx4. The tank is planted and this is my stocking right now: 1 angelfish, 7 neon tetra, 4 cherry barbs, 3 mollies, 4 Otocinculus, 5 albino corydoras, a Siamese algae eater and a bamboo shrimp. Is there anything I can or should I add to my tank? Have around neutral soft water.

I’ve attached a pic of my tank

View attachment 229037
Looks awesome
You have room for more neons and corys and cherry barbs, but like the others said the angel will eat the neons. That doesn’t mean you have to get rid of either the neons or angelfish, just know that if you keep them both you will have to replenish the neons as they’re eaten. Personally I would go for a larger tetra but be careful since some types will nip the angels fins

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Very nice looking tank!

+1 on changing out the neons. To that end, black neons or glowlight tetras are larger and will give you an iridescent reflection in your tank, only in orange or gold rather than blue. I'd shoot for a target of 10 or so, which will be fine in your tank.

I wouldn't worry about the mollies reproducing too much. The angel will pick off the baby mollies one by one so that very few, if any, will live to be adults.

Finally, most of the albino cories in the hobby are Corydoras aeneus, the bronze or green corydoras. Both are used as a common name, which I think is highly dependent on where you live. Anyways, if you wanted to change it up and get 3 or 4 normally colored C. aeneus they will school with the albinos and give you a little variety.

I wouldn't hesitate to increase the tetra school size to 10 and add 3 or 4 more cories myself with the filtration and plant growth you have.

WYite

Reactions: FishAddict74

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Very nice looking tank!

+1 on changing out the neons. To that end, black neons or glowlight tetras are larger and will give you an iridescent reflection in your tank, only in orange or gold rather than blue. I'd shoot for a target of 10 or so, which will be fine in your tank.

I wouldn't worry about the mollies reproducing too much. The angel will pick off the baby mollies one by one so that very few, if any, will live to be adults.

Finally, most of the albino cories in the hobby are Corydoras aeneus, the bronze or green corydoras. Both are used as a common name, which I think is highly dependent on where you live. Anyways, if you wanted to change it up and get 3 or 4 normally colored C. aeneus they will school with the albinos and give you a little variety.

I wouldn't hesitate to increase the tetra school size to 10 and add 3 or 4 more cories myself with the filtration and plant growth you have.

WYite
+1 t
Very nice looking tank!

WYite
+1 to all of this
Another good neon alternative is brilliant rasbora, they have a similar look to a neon but get around two inches and they school pretty tight

4A233B19-F521-4E60-81A8-C6478BC3287A.jpeg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Love the scape!

Are the mollies breeding? Like said, that could be an issue if the babies are able to outwit the angel and barbs.

Like said, the more corys the more fun they are IMO.

I had a trio of SAEs at one time and they were a family favorite in my planted 55g for years. They got quite large 5"+ and fat.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Very nice tank! I don't know that I'd replace the neons, not all angels eat them if the angels were smaller when both were new...but it may.

I love both brilliant (rasbora borapetensis or sometimes called red tailed) & harlequin rasboras. Black neons are subtlely pretty & very hardy.

I love bottom feeders & would get more corys. I like WYite's idea of a mix of albino & normal colored...but there are some "other" albino corys these days, sterbai (the pectoral spines are orange) & paleatus, not as "usual", I don't know how to tell them from aeneus. All corys get along, but a chance breeding & maybe a survivor is fun too. They can tell species even if we can't...

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Very nice tank! I don't know that I'd replace the neons, not all angels eat them if the angels were smaller when both were new...but it may.

I love both brilliant (rasbora borapetensis or sometimes called red tailed) & harlequin rasboras. Black neons are subtlely pretty & very hardy.

I love bottom feeders & would get more corys. I like WYite's idea of a mix of albino & normal colored...but there are some "other" albino corys these days, sterbai (the pectoral spines are orange) & paleatus, not as "usual", I don't know how to tell them from aeneus. All corys get along, but a chance breeding & maybe a survivor is fun too. They can tell species even if we can't...
:)
I didn't realize they were breeding other albino cory species these days. Good to know. I found an explanation about how to tell albino paleatus and albino aeneus apart. Paleatus have a pink patch in front of the dorsal fin that is absent in aeneus and sterbai. It's actually pretty noticeable on decent photos. I like the orange pec spines on the sterbai. Other than these three, I couldn't find any other albinos, but I didn't look at all 450 species.

WYite

Reactions: Sprinkle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store