Can I put a Hippo Tang & Mimic Tang together

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jenn Cos

AC Members
Mar 11, 2008
New Jersey , Jersey shore
I now have a small Hippo Tang , who I love.
I would like to add another tang , I'm concidering
putting in a yellow Mimic tang , slighty larger than the hippo tang.
All the info I read in books about Tangs are that , they may fight...
Is the Yellow Mimic different enought from the Hippo not to cause a proublem?
My tank is 110 gallons , with 200 + pounds of live rock..
all your suggestions all appreciated.

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Sure you can! I have a hippo, mimic and yellow eye kole. None of the three have similar body shapes so it's fine. Post pics when you get them!

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Lucky you! I found a picture I took that all 3 of them are in. = )

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Thanks salty. How is your powder blue doing? I love it! I wanted one before I got into the hobby but i heard they are finicky. Yours looks really nice compared to others I have seen.

Jenn, what's the verdict?

Jenn Cos

AC Members
Mar 11, 2008
New Jersey , Jersey shore
Thanks for sharing, I seen you have the three tangs together : ) so i'm going for it ,, I'll watch closely to see if they fight when I add the mimic , but I'm hoping for the best. I'm going to pick up one this week , Maybe tonight : ) I'll take pictures and post after I get it.
Thanks for the input... I'll let you know what happens....

saltydunc

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
dundee scotland
they should be ok together....you will get some aggression for the first couple of days probably but that will pass....just make sure the fish you choose is eating and is in perfect condition....thanks mcsassy....the powder blues doing great....i was lucky to have got him in such good condition from my LFS as other ones i have seen on sale tend to look very stressed,pale and thin....ive had him 6 months now and he's thriving.....:)

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
So what happened? Any updates or pics?

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Thanks guys (about the hippo) I saved her from a TERRIBLE ick attack over the course of weeks some few months back when I first got her and she has been thriving since. I treated her in tank as well...she kept going to hide in her cave deep inside one of my pieces of rock so she was impossible to get out. I used some "reef safe" medicine for a while that kind of helped...it kept going away and coming back in the same day. So I started soaking her red macro in garlic extract since then and slowly raised the temperature in the tank to around 85 to speed up the cycle of the ick because I hear that they cannot live in higher temperatures and haven't looked back since. She doesn't even go to the shrimp cleaning station or rub herself against rocks anymore. = )

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store