Can I put angels and rams together?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

A. Nonymous

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
Just looking for opinions as I'm eyeballing the $2.50 angelfish at Petsmart pretty hard, but already have 5 rams in my 75g tank. I ran it through aqadviser just to be sure and it reported that rams and angels are not good picks because they will both monopolize the entire tank. Is this true? I've kept rams before and never had this issue. I've never had any success w/keeping angels tbh.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I've seen others keep them together before, I think conflict may come if you have breeding pairs of each. My limited angel experience they stayed more to the top or middle of the tank, while rams stay more toward the bottom or lower middle.

Just my .02 cents though I've never had long term success keeping angels.

cpetrosky

AC Members
Jan 22, 2011
Mooresville NC
Real Name
Chris Petrosky
i kept a pair of angels with a pair of bolivian rams for 2 years. both breeding pairs with no problems. that was in a heavily planted 36 gallon bow font. I changed out the rams for a pair of kribs and no problems there either for the last year.

Bushkill

Registered Member
Dec 1, 2011
Bushkill, PA
Real Name
Angelo
I've seen others keep them together before, I think conflict may come if you have breeding pairs of each. My limited angel experience they stayed more to the top or middle of the tank, while rams stay more toward the bottom or lower middle.

Just my .02 cents though I've never had long term success keeping angels.

That's it in a nutshell. They occupy totally different areas of the tank as a norm. But as noted, all bets are off with mating pairs of either, but that's cichlid nature in general.

As an aside, that $2.50 angel will break your heart. You won't have to look hard to find an angelfish breeder not far from you. Spend $5 and you'll be amazed at the difference in colors and survivability.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I bet if it's a tall enough tank and not too crowded, the angels would have enough height to keep them happy and the rams can roam free at the bottom.

That's the thing about compatibility. There's so many variable to take into account. Room, decor, plants, etc..

A. Nonymous

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
They're $2.50 on sale. Normally $5. There's a mom and pop that normally stocks them from a local breeder, but hasn't had any in and forever. The only ones they have in stock are $80 for a pair of "proven breeders". I'm smart enough to know that just because a pair breeds in tank a doesn't mean they'll breed in tank b.

My tank now:

Last edited:

Mr.Salmon

AC Members
Nov 25, 2012
I have rams with my angelfish. some fights accor because they both are cichlids, none fatal

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store