Can I use sand with a sponge filter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TatteredOcean

AC Members
Jan 25, 2017
Hi,

I'm getting a five gallon for Molly and guppy fry soon and I was planning on using a sponge filter. Could I use sand as substrate or would It get clogged in the sponge? I was also planning on getting some hornwort for the tank, would sand or gravel be better for the hornwort?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
A thin layer of sand will be fine with a sponge filter (or any kind other than a UGF, so long as the intake is suitable placed). Hornwort doesn't need to be planted, it's happy to float in the water column. If you prefer it planted, you might be better off using a small pot, to provide enough depth for the roots since you won't want sand that deep.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
You'll find some sand in the sponge every time you squeeze it out, but it shouldn't be much because sponge bubbler filters don't have high flow rates. IMO, they're ideal for a small tank with sand substrate.

AbbeysDad

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Real Name
Michael
As long as the sponge filter is off the very bottom, it should be fine.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If it's a tank for fry/growout, don't feel like you need to have substrate in there at all.

Having it bare bottomed, will let you see debris that needs to be vacuumed out.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
^^ Can't beat a bare bottom for ease of maintenance. ;)

Or so I've read..

Reactions: ProjectMaro

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Nope. The only down side to no substrate is that the bottom of the tank reflects, and that can stress some fish. Many will paint the bottom of the tank (on the outside).

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Thank you so much for your answers :) do shrimp(red cherry or ghost) and snails need substrate?
IMO, a display tank with shrimp and snails with no substrate would look odd, but you could make it work. It would perhaps keep some snails like Malaysian trumpets from breeding as much. Same with shrimp w/ less places to hide.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store