can too much CO2 cause hair algae??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

newbie2004

AC Members
Jan 6, 2005
hello all plant pro out there...

I my tank been settling for about 3 week to a month now... I have 6 plant 10+ fish.. DIY co2.. 2-23 W (10hr/D) daylight bulb all in a 10 gal tank...

I notice some hair algae is growning on the leaf of some of my plant..
should i worried??
is this normal??
how to slow down algae grow?
i already have 2 algae eater in the tank.. should i add 2 more???

any reply is greatly thanx...

my planted middle tank.JPG

Aquabum

Always B itchin
Nov 27, 2004
Hi,

Darlin, I think you have too many fish in your tank already and way too much light. You're at 4.6 wpg. That's a lot of light for such a small tank, even though your injecting CO2. You should try using just one light bulb instead of two.

Do you have test kits for your tank? You must give more info regarding your water parameters. Ph, Kh, KNO3, Nitrites, Ammonia, P04, water temperature. How many times do you feed your fish a day? How many times do you do water changes? What type of fish?

This info is important so that someone can help you.

Lissette :)

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
Are those lights incandescent (tungsten) or fluorescent?

asnatlas

AC Members
Jan 31, 2005
Ohio
newbie2004 said:
hello all plant pro out there...

I my tank been settling for about 3 week to a month now... I have 6 plant 10+ fish.. DIY co2.. 2-23 W (10hr/D) daylight bulb all in a 10 gal tank...

I notice some hair algae is growning on the leaf of some of my plant..
should i worried??
is this normal??
how to slow down algae grow?
i already have 2 algae eater in the tank.. should i add 2 more???

any reply is greatly thanx...
Yes, I would agree, your WPG is on the high side... Also how are you defusing the CO2 into the tank? CO2 helps keep Algae from growing (does not stop it completely) but I would say the two main reasons you have an algae problem is because of your WPG and your CO2 may not be getting dissolved into your tank very good...

Shawn

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store