Can you eat pond snails?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Can you eat pond snails

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
I assume you are referring to snails in the family Viviparidae.
Of course you can eat them, but should not do it. They frequently harbor some nasty parasites, including some that carry serious animal and human diseases.
They are commonly eaten in a number of countries in South east Asia, and their cousins (Ampullaridae) are eaten in Mexico and other Latin American countries. And they carry serious pathogens as well.
So... not a good idea.

Reactions: Sprinkle and dudley

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
But I assume the folks in all of those countries would cook or bake the snails, killing the parasites, right?

FaZe_Epic

Registered Member
Aug 6, 2020
I assume you are referring to snails in the family Viviparidae.
Of course you can eat them, but should not do it. They frequently harbor some nasty parasites, including some that carry serious animal and human diseases.
They are commonly eaten in a number of countries in South east Asia, and their cousins (Ampullaridae) are eaten in Mexico and other Latin American countries. And they carry serious pathogens as well.
So... not a good idea.
Can you kill the parasites in any way? We were going to cook or boil them. Also, is there any way to check if they're dead?

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
It's an odd question for this forum. People here keep these snails as pets, and don't eat them. While they might be a delicacy in those countries, like many of the fish we keep, our members don't have any specific advice about preparing them.
You better do a search how they do that, essentially it's no different as beef, fish, whatever, it all has parasites that are killed by cooking, snails are no different.

FaZe_Epic

Registered Member
Aug 6, 2020
It's an odd question for this forum. People here keep these snails as pets, and don't eat them. While they might be a delicacy in those countries, like many of the fish we keep, our members don't have any specific advice about preparing them.
You better do a search how they do that, essentially it's no different as beef, fish, whatever, it all has parasites that are killed by cooking, snails are no different.
Are there any ways to find out if they're dead?

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Any chance you can post a pic of the snails? What location will you be camping at?

I don't think anyone can reliably tell you whether the snails are safe to eat or whether any possible parasites will be killed by cooking. Heck we don't even know if those particular snails are safe to eat.

Reactions: Sprinkle

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
Are there any ways to find out if they're dead?
The only way I can tell if it is dead is by seeing the shell without body... seriously where do their bodies go???

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
The only way I can tell if it is dead is by seeing the shell without body... seriously where do their bodies go???
Fish eat them?

My cories for some reason go bonkers over crushed snail

Reactions: Magnus919
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store