Can you ID my frontosas?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aknif

...maybe the Dingo ate your baby!!
Dec 27, 2004
Denver, CO
Wow, wouldn't THAT be nice! I would cr*p if they were Blue Zaire's... from what I've read, those are the rarest and most desireable kind.

Considering I got these guys for $7 each on a penny sale at the LFS... that would be QUITE a find!

:)

rbell219

AC Members
Nov 12, 2005
It's going to be hard to tell until they are adults----then they will have their color and features in. Rest assured you will most likely not end up with mutts if they breed. Most likely the breeder didn't mix species. Ask your store if they can give you the contact info for the breeder. They will probably know.

SAY---if they breed---can I buy some? Would you be able to ship them? I see you're in Denver---i'll just schedule a ski trip or a camping trip and cart the little guys home myself :clap:!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

aknif

Dec 27, 2004
Denver, CO
That's a good link, Sub! Hadn't seen so many varieties on one page like that before.... Thanks Schweetie! ;)

Rbell - you're first in line for my babies! (My, that came out wrong! ;)) But it might be a long wait. My fronts are now just about 2" - 2.5", and I've read that they take 3-4 YEARS to reach maturity to breed... So don't book any ski trips just yet! :D

Whatever they are, they sure are pretty! I'm thrilled with them! I've only had them a couple weeks, but they've settled right in and have developed quite special little personalities already! One of them, he loves to be watched! Will come up and sit right in front of me.... If he's a male, he'll be "Tony".... As in Tony Soprano. I'll be naming them for members of The Family once I can see their personalities and sexes.... LOL

My name is Amy, and I AM A FISH GEEK. :laugh:

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
fish_breeder_05 said:
nice substrate :eek: :bowing: my lfs sells 8-12" frontosas for 50 bucks each
Yeah but I guarantee you they didnt pay the person who brought them in that ;) You'd probebly get 25 bucks each for them at a pet store... as adults. Not a very high profit margin if your interested in breeding... since frontosas are so damned picky about breeding and you'd have to grow them out for years before you saw the funds.

Anyways... side note... i have 2 baby bismarks that look just like that (i know most baby fronts do) but the coloration is different- mine is a deeper blue hue and not so baby-blue. So, I think they might be burundi.

:)
-Diana

aknif

Dec 27, 2004
Denver, CO
Thanks Diana. I think they might be Burundi's too... I can wait till they're a bit older to know for sure. I don't really care. They're beautiful and I love them! :)

....and I sure hope they DON'T breed. I'm not into the hobby for breeding. I don't want the hassle. I just take care of my fish and make them happy. If they breed, they breed, but I won't be doing anything special to keep and grow out the babies either.

I'm just out to spend a ton of cash and get nothing in return but long, lovely hours lounging in front of my tanks enjoying the view!

;)

Nov 15, 2004
aknif said:
My name is Amy, and I AM A FISH GEEK. :laugh:

*AC in Unison*: "Hi Amy, and welcome to Fishaholics Anonymous" :D

Reply #1) "It takes a seasoned pro to distinguish types at such a small size.
it will probably just end up being a Burundii. which are the normal ones, altho they can still look great. I have 2 blue bismarks and 5 burundii. apart from 1, the burundii have soo much blue. the bismarks are more overall blue, but the burundii are a bit darker. those little guys dont look too big. might have to wait a bit to get a good ID on them, there's so many variants..."

Reply #2) "They're tricky to ID at that age... but my best guess would be burundi or zaire."

And if this map helps any

aknif

Dec 27, 2004
Denver, CO
Thanks for posting on your other forum for me, Limey...

I also belong to Jeffoholics Anonymous... but that's a whole 'nother post on a whole 'nother forum!

;)

Puffernewbee

AC Members
Dec 9, 2004
Katy, TX
After lots of looking I will have to go with burundi based on the price you paid. As I believe others have said, your going to have to wait till they are older to get a better idea.

FanmanKC

AC Members
Dec 7, 2005
africancichlidforum.com
It is very hard to determine given their current size, but I would say that they are not one of the northern variants. (Burundi, Kavala) The eye mask does not continue all the way over the head, and there is no yellow in the dorsal fin. I would say that you have either Mpimbwe, Bismark, or Ikola. But, like I said before, very difficult given their size.

If you would like to investigate any further. This is where you need to go.....

http://www.cyphos.com/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store