can you use atrifical decoration in salt water aquariums

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jenn Cos

AC Members
Mar 11, 2008
New Jersey , Jersey shore
Maybe Larger

I like that web site , melevsreef , great info

learned lots more : )

I ordered books too , can't wait to read up

I learned that the wet dry has a sump as a aprt of it , but also has the bio balls within it ,

bio balls can be bad for live corals , which i am going to avoid...

but as i read , to do the water changes , i maybe should get an over sized one with a larger sump area...

go from a 150 , has a 15 gallon sump , to a 300 has a 24 gallon sump, that way i can just change the sump area to do the water changes

im going to ask the store if they sell wet dry with a refugium built in,

what do you think....

can you over size the sump to the aquarium ?

i hope the store dont get mad , they ordered the system... but i think it will be to small.. should get it set up right to avoid proublems

thanks for your input

Jenn

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
No, you can not oversize the sump. Actually, you want to get the biggest sump you can possibly fit. I have said this before, but if it were possible to put a 500G sump on my 29G tank I would. Any amount of extra water volume can only help.

On a 150G tank I would recommend a 55G sump, on a 300G I would recommend a 90G sump. Obviously that is just my recommendation and it really is not that critical.. just helpful. Only thing that is a must is the sump has to be big enough to hold all the equipment you want to put into it.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
No, you can not oversize the sump. Actually, you want to get the biggest sump you can possibly fit. I have said this before, but if it were possible to put a 500G sump on my 29G tank I would. Any amount of extra water volume can only help.

On a 150G tank I would recommend a 55G sump, on a 300G I would recommend a 90G sump. Obviously that is just my recommendation and it really is not that critical.. just helpful. Only thing that is a must is the sump has to be big enough to hold all the equipment you want to put into it.
I agree 100%. It is even ok to absurdly size your sump. Think of it as a supersize meal without the guilt.

Jenn Cos

AC Members
Mar 11, 2008
New Jersey , Jersey shore
cabinet size

my cabinet is a 18 wide by 48 long

i took a card board cut out to see how im gona fit this
huge rectangle sump into this cabinet

looks like it will be a proublem , unless i remove the one piece of wood in middle of back of stand , thats the only way it could fit in , my stand is a perfecto and has two doors , but a middle fixed wood piece , nothing gona fit in though the front

if a get a wet/dry that was recommended by the fish dealer the biggest sump with that would be 24 gallons on a 110 tank , big enough...

or don't need bioballs , just a big sump is better

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store