Canabalistic Betta!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Galaxie

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
VA
I think a fish that eats another fish is called piscivorous. If he eats his own kind, he's a cannibalistic piscivore. In this case, he didn't eat it......he just mugged it. So your betta is a thug. My betta chases the neons and flagfish randomly, but he's just exercising his rule over the tank. Don't mess with his food, and don't mess with him while he's staring at himself, or you'll get chased.

FisheyLisa

Fish-a-roni
Nov 2, 2004
CT
I am more surprised that you are surprised this happened!

I also am not sure what your aim is by giving it treats...? I assume that it is for making the betta less hungry, less bored, or for the fish to feel special;)

kittyhazelton

I eat sushi
Aug 15, 2005
Hartford, VT
elfwood.lysator.liu.se
Well, I can't say as though I was 100% surprised, but it was a little unexpected since he had already been living with 2 neons without any problems.
After this incedent I decided to name him Grim. I like his color because he is COMPLETELY white eccept for his head which is black. A nice irridescent white crowntail with very full finnage.
Personally I don't really like the look of most of the lighter colored betta's but this one just seemed to stand out.

And as far as the treats, probably a combination of all three ideas. I like all my critters to feel special. :D
Like my python, usually I give him dead rats, but every now and then I give him a live one so he has something to hunt.

And my tang and other fishies like brine shrimp every now and then.

Last edited:

FisheyLisa

Fish-a-roni
Nov 2, 2004
CT
As long as it is not to keep the betta from eating other fish...like it isn't a diversion. Are you looking for live food? Mine really like frozen blood worms and brine shrimp. I hate the boogers, but can punch them out of the holder into a cup to melt, then I dump/ turkey baster them into the water...then I don't have to touch them! Tubifex worms are good too.

As for live stuff, I am too scared to try it, besides thowing random insects in the tank.

kittyhazelton

I eat sushi
Aug 15, 2005
Hartford, VT
elfwood.lysator.liu.se
I've always had good luck with the shrimp. They don't last nearly long enough in ANY of my tanks to be considered "adding bugs to the tank"
It's been a while since i've gotten any and just haven't really thought to give some to the betta. Probably going to pick some up today when I head to the LFS. Still looking for a good mate for my little cichlid.

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
I occasionally feed my betta live black worms. There is an lfs here that regularly has them in stock and they're cheap. A tablespoon of them lasts me quite awhile. I keep them in my fridge....
....far far in the back......on a bottom shelf....in a dish with a tight lid.....very tight....

PJGirl112

AC Members
Feb 22, 2005
Rockford, IL
Galaxie said:
Don't mess with his food, and don't mess with him while he's staring at himself, or you'll get chased.
I agree...tank is way too small for this set-up. I have seen my two Bettas (separate tanks, of course) chase their tankmates and also baby fry, but they have never connected. Personalities are different in fish as well as people...another betta may not be so aggressive towards your neons...unfortunately you never know until it happens. :eek:

Jerm

Hehe!! A fishy!! and a rolly guy!!
Sep 26, 2005
Rouses Point NY
Clurin said:
Actually, Yoemen was correct. Your example would be saying "if a crowntail betta ate a halfmoon betta." Saying because a fish eats another fish (of a different species) it is a cannibal is like saying because a human eats a cow, it is cannibalism because they are both mammals.
It'd be like you eating a neaderthal

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store