Canister filter recommendation

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

happypoet

AC Members
Jul 9, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Aaron
Hi all,
I'm getting ready to set up my new 55 river tank. Stocking will be fairly light, and I'll have two strong powerheads hooked up to sponge filters running the river manifold, so I don't think I'll need super strong filtration, but I'd like it to be easy to maintain and quiet. I'm thinking canister. Either the basic Eheim 2213 or 15, or the new Nexx from API, which I've found really cheap. Maybe the new Fluval 06 series (206)? I'm certainly open to suggestions outside of those two as well.
I've never used canisters before, so I'd love any advice I can get. Among similarly performing options, price is definitely a big factor. Thanks!

yss

AC Members
Jan 2, 2012
Northern VA
Real Name
Yun
I like Rena XP4. I have eheim, fluval, rena, and cascade cannister filters, but Renas are the best value, I think.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
The Nexx looks interesting, but I'm not sure how customizable it will be...I can't imagine buying disposable inserts for it.

Of course, you're going to get a lot of people recommending the SunSun/Grech/Perfect filter, who's latest incarnation I believe is Aqua Top: http://www.amazon.com/AquaTop-CF-500UV-Canister-Filter-Sterilizer/dp/B004GIXCI4

Don't ask me why it's selling for this crazy price on Amazon :screwy: It's still available for $60 or so on eBay!

That being said, I've always been a big fan of Cascade canister filters. I've owned two Eheim Eccos and honestly can't say that there's all that much difference between them. The sturdy rubber feet on the Cascade, the black tubing and parts (including a spraybar) have always been a plus for me, I always felt that after spending $80-100 on a filter the least they can do is include a spraybar! The green tubing looks out of place in most tanks, but maybe not in yours ;)

Cascades probably perform along the same lines as a Rena, I am not sure if Renas have fallen out of favor or what...I haven't seen them at any LFS around here for over a year.

I don't know anything about the new Fluval series, but my good friend has a Fluval 205 that he likes a lot, I was never crazy about the ribbed hoses since they trap a lot of gunk.

Definitely buying new, right? I would imagine that the '05 series Fluvals would be cheap used now, since the '06 series has been out for a while.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Most people seem to get theirs from koolgoods:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FRESH-S...367?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231219be4f

Recently, this seller has been at the top of the list too:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-STAGE-EXT...433?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item439fee02b1

If you want to spend about $60 shipped, definitely go with that white canister rather than the Nexx...there's a whole thread about the Nexx on here somewhere, and most everyone agreed that it's junk, basically just an invention made to sell media.

That white canister is a clone of a Marineland C series, so at least it's modeled after a good design ;) Mellowvision had some legitimate gripes about it, though.

I bought a used Eheim, never was completely happy with it. The valves were always really tight and stuck. It had a tendency to get air in it, and would need to be "burped" after servicing. It also seemed a little noisier than the Eheim I bought new. I can't complain since I got it for $40 + shipping, and it was a discontinued model, but if I could do it over I would have gotten the canister above, whatever it's called.

happypoet

AC Members
Jul 9, 2010
Missouri
Real Name
Aaron
Thanks for the tips. I just read Mellow's write-up. I might try anyway, or maybe I'll just go with the eheim 2213. The sunsun has MUCH higer gph, but with my low bioload and powerhead-driven extra filtration, I'm more concerned with ease of use and trustworthiness than raw power.
I could be talked into going to the 2215, but is it really necessary? I'm not super concerned with having the water crystal-clear, and with the water movement, oxygenation, and rockwork I'm planning, I figure the whole tank will be a bio-filter...

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I love my eheim 2217s. I also have rena XP2 and XP3 and a sunsun. Of all...I like the eheims the best. They are just easy. The renas IME need servicing more often....though other people claim not. When they need servicing the flow drastically reduces. I do not experience the same thing with the eheims. The sunsun is ok for the money, but I find it hard to work with. It is large and bulky and difficult and mine is very noisy. These are the only canisters I have worked with though.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I think the gph on that Perfect filter is highly exaggerated, I would think for a 55 gallon it would be just right. Different people have had different opinions on the noise, some people saying it's silent and others saying it's noisy - I think it all depends on what you are comparing it to. I am sure Eheim is one of the quietest though, I've never heard complaints about noise from Eheim filters.

I have never had a classic series Eheim, don't you need a "priming bulb" to prime them? (I hope someone will pipe in who knows this kind of Eheim, it is the most common kind after all.) The Eccos have a sturdy handle which is great for carrying them and it also primes, I always liked that about them.

I am not sure Eheims are quite as good as they used to be, since they've started using Chinese parts (even though the price hasn't come down any). Most of the raves about Eheims are from people who have had them for a decade or longer and have a lot of brand loyalty to Eheim. I am not sure someone today would be as impressed. I would probably try contacting Eheim directly to see which of the Classic parts are made in China now...if it was just the filter body, for example, that shouldn't matter....but the impeller, etc. is more important. I don't know how long the manufacturer's warranty is, but I've never been one to take advantage of those.

Not since my first new Eheim Ecco that I paid $85 for, have I been able to get myself to pay around that price for an 115 gph canister filter, when comparable HOBs are selling for less than half that. The customizable aspect of the canisters are great, they make great bio filters and are quieter than any HOB because they aren't splashing water into the tank, waterfall style. I just am too lazy to break them down and clean them regularly, whereas the HOBs don't even need to be turned off to service the media. This suits me better.

Do you know what kind of media you plan on using?

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I have several classic Eheims; from 20 yrs old to two yrs old, all bought new. I've never had any trouble out of them. They're easy to service and easy to put back in service after cleaning. All mine have the two valves and quick-connects on each line. I'd put a 2217 on that tank and let the spray bar compliment your flow direction.

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store