Canister Filter Recommendations

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cribbinator

Fish are Friends, Not Food
May 26, 2004
Alpharetta, GA
www.thecribbs.com
Hello Again,

Any recommendations on canister filters ? I was thinking of getting a Fluval 204 for my tank. I have a 29 gallon bowfront freshwater tank. Is this a good brand to get ? Most reviews I've read online say that it is pretty good but wanted to get your input.

Thank you

Jim

bortsamson

Resident Cat herder
Aug 6, 2003
Abbotsford, BC. Canada Eh?
Visit site
I have a Rena Filstar and a Fluval 204

To recommend one over the other....well you are going to get at least a 15 page thread, lol.

I find the rena is really good for micro filtration, but it clogs quick, whereas my fluval keeps on tickin but it still filters great

Edit: what I mean is, the rena when it clogs that of course reduces the current in the tank, and more stuff settles
and to counter that I have the fluval which keeps the junk floating and being able to get sucked up by either on of the filters
So, I would say the Rena is great, and Fluval is great
Price wise....rena beats fluval hands down

Last edited:

Cribbinator

May 26, 2004
Alpharetta, GA
www.thecribbs.com
Thanks for the reply. I haven't seen Rena filters around my area. Are they canister style as well ? I think I might go with the Fluval then. I have a Tetra-Tec PF 300 in my tank right now that does good but I want alittle more filtration and I want to establish some current in my tank. Thanks for the information. :D

Jim

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
I currently run 2 fluval 404s... though they work decently enough. However, when I do replace them, I will probably replace them with Rena's Filstar xP canister filters. I fiddled around with the Filstar canisters, and I like them more than the Fluvals. They are about the same price as well (cheaper in some cases). However, if you want the cream of the crop, go with an Eheim canister. Several people have run Eheim canisters for ages, and they just won't break down. I currently have an Eheim 2026 Pro running, and I love it. However, I would avoid the Eheim Ecco line of canisters... those imho are a waste of plastic.

To prevent your canister from gunking up, I'd suggest putting a pre-filter over the intake of your canister. You can buy commerical intakes like Filtermax III prefilters, or the Eheim prefilter... or you can make your own. I make my own by cutting a slot in an Aquaclear sponge, and fitting that over the intake of the filter. Clean the prefilter out at least once a week (blasting them in the sink, etc. will work just fine). Ever since I've done this, I've been cleaning out my canisters once every 6 months... rather than once every month.

HTH
-Richer

Cribbinator

May 26, 2004
Alpharetta, GA
www.thecribbs.com
Thanks alot for the replies Richer. Great info. I might investigate more on the 2 filters you spoke about before buying. Where can I buy some Aquaclear sponge ? By intake of the canister filter do you mean the intake tube inside the take or the intake fitting on the canister filter tank ? Also do you have a pic of what the cutom prefilter would look like attached to the intake ? Thanks again for your info.

Jim

bortsamson

Resident Cat herder
Aug 6, 2003
Abbotsford, BC. Canada Eh?
Visit site
dont think it has to be an aquaclear sponge, any sponge will work, just cram it around the intake strainer.
Never thought about that tho, mind you, the amount of gunk the filstar has in the cannister, I can understand WHY it clogs.
I actually use my filstar as a surface skimmer/midwater cleaner.
But that is going to get the thread off topic

*delete delete delete*
ah forget it, lol

Cribbinator

May 26, 2004
Alpharetta, GA
www.thecribbs.com
Ok, what about the Rena canister filter vs. the Fluval canister filter ? My only concern about ther Rena is finding the bio material packs in me area. I would probably have to order them online. There are a few aquarium stores in my area that carry the Fluval only, haven't found one that carry's the Rena canister. Also, do this Rena come with all the tubes and accessories needed to have it fully functional ? It doesn't say here.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=22033;category_id=1711

Thanks again.

Regards,

Jim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store