Canisters AGAIN!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Raydee

AC Members
Feb 1, 2003
New York
Visit site
I am looking to get a new canister filter fr my 90 galom brackish tank and really I have narrowed it down to a Eheim pro 2 2028 or a Filstar XP3. Yesterday I was looking around and saw the ViaAqua 750 and it looked really good for the money...under $80. Does anybody use one of these? I know that the Eheim is a great filter but there are some things about them i don't like and if I spend over $200 on a filter it better be the last one I buy! Another bad thing with me buying the Eheim is that nobody around here sells paarts or media for them.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002

The Filstar XP-3 is $95.00 and rated at 300 gph...

* Guaranteed self-priming system (unique " anti-airlock " system).
* Adaptable to all types of aquariums (spraybar and powerhead included).
* Extremely quiet.
* Efficient 3-step filtration guaranteed in a by pass-free construction.

Here's a link :
Rena Filstar Canisters

(I think Eheim is from our good ole German friends... ;) )

Last edited:

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
I would go with the Filstar. I have one and I'm really happy with it. A friend of mine is part owner of a lfs here in town. He told me once that a lot of people return the Aqua Via for problems, but I have no personal experience with them or the Ehiem.

Dave

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
You will find very few people who have any experience with Eheims who will recommend anything else.

If you plan to be in the hobby for some time, Eheims are very cost efficient. They are durable, reliable, and terribly well constructed.

A perusal of fish boards will find a number of Fluval owners who love their filters and a lot who have had problems. A similar investigation of Eheim filters will find overwhelmingly positive experiences. ViaAqua hasn't been around long enough for anyone to know their track record. If you'd like to be one of the guinea pigs and report back to us, that would be helpful.... :)

Jim

elgecko

AC Members
Apr 10, 2003
PA
www.geocities.com
Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in seeing the above post about Fluvals. I own a Fluval and love it. :D Not 1 problem with this filter and I've had it over 2 years. Gets taken apart and new fiber filter added every month.

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
well from my experience i think that the ehiems are the best money can buy, but you get what you pay for with them. which is a lot. i have never used a filstar or viaqua. i have a fluval 304 and i have never had any problems with it.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Well, I have one Eheim (air cooled) which makes noise, but it is well over 30 years old (maybe 34-35?). I quite have a number of Classics ranging from well over 20-25years old down to less than a year old - I replace the hoses at least ever 10 years, and have broken 4-5 impellers dropping them in the sink. I have a few of the new models, no issues to date.

Naturally, I would not consider buying any other brand. I've tested a few and given them away. They just are not Eheims. By life cycle costs, the cheapest units I've had.

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Ditto de Eeeeeee-HEIM!
I also think the classics are the best.
good luck
:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store